Old 23-07-2007, 08:41 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Honeybees!!!

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!
Wherever they were hiding, I'm so relieved to see these guys.
They appear hungry.....

Coincidentally, I've seen no crickets around here (eastside Town Lake) or
the rest of Town Lake.

Old 23-07-2007, 08:46 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!
Wherever they were hiding, I'm so relieved to see these guys.
They appear hungry.....

Coincidentally, I've seen no crickets around here (eastside Town Lake) or
the rest of Town Lake.

Very good news. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 24-07-2007, 12:53 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!
Wherever they were hiding, I'm so relieved to see these guys.
They appear hungry.....

Coincidentally, I've seen no crickets around here (eastside Town

Lake) or
the rest of Town Lake.

Very good news. :-)

I'm just hoping the researcher that discovered the Asian parasites is
right and the commercial beekeepers can treat their hives. Then the wild
ones can re-populate.
Yes, very good news...

Old 24-07-2007, 05:15 AM posted to austin.gardening

yay!!!!

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Old 24-07-2007, 02:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!
Wherever they were hiding, I'm so relieved to see these guys.
They appear hungry.....

Coincidentally, I've seen no crickets around here (eastside Town

Lake) or
the rest of Town Lake.

Very good news. :-)

I'm just hoping the researcher that discovered the Asian parasites is
right and the commercial beekeepers can treat their hives. Then the wild
ones can re-populate.
Yes, very good news...

How do they treat?
Kinda hard to use pesticides on insects for insect parasites!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:30 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered

in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!
Wherever they were hiding, I'm so relieved to see these guys.
They appear hungry.....

Coincidentally, I've seen no crickets around here (eastside Town

Lake) or
the rest of Town Lake.

Very good news. :-)

I'm just hoping the researcher that discovered the Asian parasites is
right and the commercial beekeepers can treat their hives. Then the wild
ones can re-populate.
Yes, very good news...

How do they treat?
Kinda hard to use pesticides on insects for insect parasites!

There still seems to be conflicting views from what I've googled, but
this is what I've found so far. Nosema ceranae is a single-celled protozoan.

Apr 25, 2007
http://forager.newsvine.com/_news/20...shing-honeybee
"... it has been suggested that he most effective control of Nosema
ceranae is the antibiotic fumagillin."

Jul 18, 2007
Asian parasite killing Western bees: scientist
http://www.reuters.com/article/envir...26459120070718
"Treatment for nosema ceranae is effective and cheap -- 1 euro ($1.4) a
hive twice a year"

Old 24-07-2007, 04:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:41:37 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!

When life gives you honeybees....

-sw

Old 24-07-2007, 06:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt dt is offline

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!
Wherever they were hiding, I'm so relieved to see these guys.
They appear hungry.....

Coincidentally, I've seen no crickets around here (eastside Town

Lake) or

the rest of Town Lake.

Very good news. :-)

I'm just hoping the researcher that discovered the Asian parasites is
right and the commercial beekeepers can treat their hives. Then the wild
ones can re-populate.
Yes, very good news...

How do they treat?

Teeeny tiny little hypodermic needles....

DT
Old 24-07-2007, 07:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:41:37 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!

When life gives you honeybees....

Actually, the reverse was possibly true earlier this Spring. When only
three showed up on the oxalis regularly, I put out a plate with honey on it
hoping at least they wouldn't need to waste energy on making their own....
and feed an extra snack to their queen.

So, when the bipedal lifeform gives you honey, make honeybees......

Old 25-07-2007, 12:42 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:01:11 -0500, Steve Wertz wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:41:37 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Just stepped out back and the coralvines are absolutely covered in a
raucous riot of hundreds of honeybees!!!

When life gives you honeybees....

I take this back.

About an 1.5 hours after I posted this I was attacked by some
bees that have taken up residence in a hole right next to where
the coral snake lives.

I was sweeping off the front porch, and was swarmed. Three
stings and a cloud of bees preventing access to the house.
Fortunately th back door was open Ended up having to call an
ambulance as I was out of Epipens. I was close to shock before
they started treating me (but I did wait 10-15 minutes before
calling).

So I say nuke the bees. Bees suck.

Sorry to hear that, but you obviously are not living a pure life and the
snake told the bees to stop that damn, threatening, sweeping racket.
Negative vibes, predator...

Old 25-07-2007, 03:45 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:42:11 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Sorry to hear that, but you obviously are not living a pure life and

the
snake told the bees to stop that damn, threatening, sweeping racket.
Negative vibes, predator...

The word is out on me in the Animal Kingdom. My days are
numbered. I think they've been reading Austin.Gardening.

As long as they know who to blame (or reward) when they find the
carcass... "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms(1)" and all that.

I always wondered if my bees were Africanized. I wander around in them a
lot and they don't seem to notice. This morning I went out and there was
only one, so I was a little disappointed and hoping yesterday wasn't a one
shot deal. But then by afternoon when the sun came out, they were all back
and busy as..... well. I got u pretty close to see if they were getting any
pollen, and if they were getting enough nectar from the coralvine. Hard to
tell as they were flitting pretty fast and no big yellow legs.

(1) Ten points for where this quote came from..... }:-)

Old 25-07-2007, 04:54 AM posted to austin.gardening

too easy...Outlaw Josey Wales...

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old 25-07-2007, 05:14 AM posted to austin.gardening

Nope....... although, you got Clint right... }:-)

"oldhickory" wrote in message
too easy...Outlaw Josey Wales...

Old 25-07-2007, 06:43 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default "oldhickory" was correct, was Honeybees!!!

Many pardons, you're correct. All this time, I thought it was from "Two
Mules For Sister Sara ", where Clint Eastwood didn't want to bury the the
bandits who were assaulting Shirley MacLaine.

Sister, raise your eyes to heaven. (noticing buzzards circling)
Now, are they or are they not God's creatures?
- Of course they are. -
Why rob them of this nourishment?