Old 03-09-2007, 03:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Lilac

I planted a lilac bush that is supposed to bloom in the South. It did well
through the winter and early spring but with all the rain in Texas this
spring its leaves turned brown and stopped growing. The plant is still alive
and when I did a search online I found several references to too much water
making the leaves turn brown. Should I prune it back, or try to replant it
with more compost to improve drainage? It is in a prepared bed where I dug
out the clay 6 inches deep and built up the bed. Any advice would be much
appreciated.

Michele
Dallas

remove _ from email to reply

Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM posted to austin.gardening

Michele Cook wrote:
I planted a lilac bush that is supposed to bloom in the South. It did well
through the winter and early spring but with all the rain in Texas this
spring its leaves turned brown and stopped growing. The plant is still alive
and when I did a search online I found several references to too much water
making the leaves turn brown. Should I prune it back, or try to replant it
with more compost to improve drainage? It is in a prepared bed where I dug
out the clay 6 inches deep and built up the bed. Any advice would be much
appreciated.

Michele
Dallas

remove _ from email to reply

Is it a true lilac or a vitex agnus castus? If a vitex, just leave it
alone. They're tough. I have several doing well but a couple that are
losing leaves.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

Michele Cook wrote:
Its a true lilac. Any advice for that?

Michele

Sorry, no. I didn't know that any lilacs grew this far south.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Lilac in pot K United Kingdom 3 06-11-2003 10:02 AM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
lilac Susan Gillispie North Carolina 4 01-04-2003 02:34 AM
Lilac won't flower Peter United Kingdom 2 16-03-2003 08:08 PM
Dwarf Lilac - seem to have killed it? Rosie United Kingdom 3 26-11-2002 12:50 AM