Old 09-09-2007, 12:11 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Gardening as a Living?

I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source
of income for the winter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 16:11:19 -0700, "Chris F."
wrote:

I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source
of income for the winter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Flowers should be marketable year round.

Talk to florists and see what they want.

See if you can find out what they pay and where they get their
material NOW.

Otherwise, I would consider herbs and spices.

Spices sell well in Texas - don't know about the culinary
possibilities in the land of snow and funny accents.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

"Chris F." wrote in message
I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now -
as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern
Canada, we have a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm
wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the
springtime.

snip

This group is pretty much about local garden in and around Austin,
TX.
I think you will get better advice going to "alt.home.lawn.garden",
which is a more widely read geographically.
Bob-tx

Old 09-09-2007, 03:35 PM posted to austin.gardening

Spices sell well in Texas - don't know about the culinary
possibilities in the land of snow and funny accents.

Lots of snow here yes, but you won't find any funny accents. Don't believe
everything you see on The Daily Show or South Park.....

Old 10-09-2007, 02:33 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 07:35:35 -0700, "Chris F."
wrote:

Spices sell well in Texas - don't know about the culinary
possibilities in the land of snow and funny accents.

Lots of snow here yes, but you won't find any funny accents. Don't believe
everything you see on The Daily Show or South Park.....

I'm currently working with Canadians, mostly from the Calgary area.

We kid each other regarding our unique approaches to the English
language.

But they DO have funny accents.

Not as funny as New Jersey - but funny.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Spices sell well in Texas - don't know about the culinary
possibilities in the land of snow and funny accents.

Lots of snow here yes, but you won't find any funny accents. Don't believe
everything you see on The Daily Show or South Park.....

I'm currently working with Canadians, mostly from the Calgary area.

We kid each other regarding our unique approaches to the English
language.

But they DO have funny accents.

Not as funny as New Jersey - but funny.

Depends on what part of Canada I guess... Newfoundlanders are some of the
worst offenders.

Gardening for a Living? Chris F. Lawns 13 11-09-2007 02:20 AM
could i graft a living treehouse together? Monique Reed Plant Biology 9 29-03-2003 06:44 PM
[IBC] A complete newbie living in the UK Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 18-03-2003 10:44 PM
Southern Living jammer Gardening 1 20-02-2003 08:51 PM
living space Gareth Wills Orchids 9 18-02-2003 04:27 AM