Old 23-09-2007, 08:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Live Oak - Move or Remove Help

Hi all, I need some advice regarding a live oak that was carelessly
planted too close to the back of our house by a previous owner. The
tree is now about 20 ft tall and blocks the view from our deck - and
we have to make some sort of decision. Can anyone help?

1. Can the tree be moved?
2. Should we just cut it down and plant another (or more) further
away from the house?
3. Can anyone recommend a good service to help with either of these
choices?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Old 24-09-2007, 06:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, I need some advice regarding a live oak that was carelessly
planted too close to the back of our house by a previous owner. The
tree is now about 20 ft tall and blocks the view from our deck - and
we have to make some sort of decision. Can anyone help?

1. Can the tree be moved?
2. Should we just cut it down and plant another (or more) further
away from the house?
3. Can anyone recommend a good service to help with either of these
choices?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

In this part of the woods, I doubt if the owner planted the live oak.
Probably purposely avoided cutting same. Original part of the property.

I'd be happy with such a tree. If its blocking your view of a the panorama,
consider it a tax break. Undoubtedly, part of your property tax has a view
as taxable.

Seen on some educational TV channels moving large trees to other locations
with specialized equipment for that purpose.

Unless you have a holy mission, like viewing a nudee, don't bother cutting
the tree.

Anyone can cut down a tree. Not anyone can plant a tree that will continue
to grow.
Dave

Old 24-09-2007, 01:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sep 24, 12:49 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

It was most definitely (and quite obviously) planted. It's still
relatively young, too. We live in Lakeway and in a fairly new
construction home - there are two trees behind the house that were
planted by the previous owner, and this is one of them. It may not be
a live oak, but it is an oak of some sort.

As I said, we don't want to cut it down, we'd rather move it. It is
directly blocking the view of the lake, and is just plain too close to
the house and our septic. Not good for the tree or the house or the
septic.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, though, and if you have a
recommendation on a good tree service I appreciate it.

Julie

Old 24-09-2007, 03:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article . com,
wrote:

On Sep 24, 12:49 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Once it gets taller, you can prune lower branches and it will no longer
block the view of the lake and the shade for your deck is valuable.

How close is it to the septic system? If you have 10 ft. of clearance,
you should be fine. Less might be ok too, that is a conservative
estimate.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 24-09-2007, 07:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sep 24, 9:48 am, Omelet wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
On Sep 24, 12:49 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein- Hide quoted text -

It will probably take quite a while to grow to a height where we can
thin it out. Right now it's quite young and just "bushy." I have
thought about thinning it, just not sure how much good it will do.

The septic is about 5 feet away, the house foundation about 3. Not
well thought out.

I don't like to cut down trees, despise it, really. If we wind up
cutting down this one we'll plant two the same size in the greenbelt
behind the house!

Old 25-09-2007, 01:14 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 24, 12:49 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

That makes more sense. Any tree in the vicinity of a a septic tank or leech
field should be cut down immediately. No tree should be replanted in such
areas. Ground cover like grasses and small bushy stuff okay on the leech
field. Grasses only over the septic tank.

Trees have no problem adapting to septic tanks or leech fields. That's the
problem, the rootage trying to get at the watered down decomposing material.

I would cut it down myself if it is far enough away from the house for it
not to be a problem during the fall. Makes excellent BBQ wood and firewood.
Small branches and leaves get the mulching lawnmower. If its in a yard with
maintained grass, the stump and some outlying rootage will have to go.
Then, refill with good topsoil. Otherwise, you'll have a hole in the yard.
The entire scenario could be pricey and messy.

An added note. The local "cedar" trees have surface traveling rootage that
far exceeds their height. The oak species isn't nearly such a problem.
Scan the vicinity of the septic tank and leech field for such cedar trees
within 50 feet. If such exist, make those go away too.

What makes no sense to me is why anyone would plant such a tree in the
vicinity of a septic system. Live oaks may appear bushy this year due to
all the rain, and recovery from the drought from the previous 3 years. If
the tree is similar enough to those majority oaks growing wild out at
Lakeway and surrounding hill country, its a live oak. Minority growing wild
is the red oak. Some are already turning leave color.
Dave

Old 25-09-2007, 02:54 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article . com,
wrote:

On Sep 24, 9:48 am, Omelet wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
On Sep 24, 12:49 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

So long as you make up for it. ;-)

I totally understand the foundation and septic issue. It's why I won't
let any "volunteer" trees get established too close to the house, and
WILL root trim if any start causing problems.

Good luck! :-)
Might want to do a web search for an arborist.

Old 25-09-2007, 02:28 PM posted to austin.gardening

Good luck! :-)
Might want to do a web search for an arborist.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein- Hide quoted text -

I'll search the web too, but does anyone have an arborist they
recommend?