Old 17-10-2007, 02:36 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Wet spot

Early this summer I developed a wet spot in the side of my yard. I
blamed all of the rain and the fact that side of the house doesn't get
much sun. The rain stopped, but the wet spot got worse. Turns out my
sprinkler system was leaking.

I repaired the leak. Does anyone have tips to dry out the area? I
used a Shop-Vac to suck up quite a bit of water and some of mud. Now
I'm left with very damp soil. Am I better off leaving it alone and
letting it dry or planting a thirsty plant to help soak up the water?

Thanks,
John

Old 17-10-2007, 04:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.

What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Old 17-10-2007, 06:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article .com,
John Mayson wrote:

On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.

What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Bamboo.

eg
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 17-10-2007, 06:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

John Mayson wrote:
On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.

What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Why can't you just let it dry up naturally?

Mosquito larvae.

Me? I'd dump a bunch of landscaping sand into it and mix well, then let
it dry.

Make a good garden bed later.

Old 17-10-2007, 07:27 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

John Mayson wrote:
On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.
What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Why can't you just let it dry up naturally?

Mosquito larvae.

Me? I'd dump a bunch of landscaping sand into it and mix well, then let
it dry.

Make a good garden bed later.

Pffft. It's easy enough to fill, as you've pointed out.

Yep. :-)

Old 18-10-2007, 03:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

"John Mayson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Early this summer I developed a wet spot in the side of my yard. I
blamed all of the rain and the fact that side of the house doesn't get
much sun. The rain stopped, but the wet spot got worse. Turns out my
sprinkler system was leaking.

I repaired the leak. Does anyone have tips to dry out the area? I
used a Shop-Vac to suck up quite a bit of water and some of mud. Now
I'm left with very damp soil. Am I better off leaving it alone and
letting it dry or planting a thirsty plant to help soak up the water?

Thanks,
John

Close the cutoff valve to the sprinkler system for a few weeks.
Dave

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM