Old 31-03-2008, 01:23 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Nettle? Thistle? Near Corsicana, Texas

I found about 20 of these plants in a cow pasture just east of
Chatfield, Tx.
They look rather formidable with spines and striped leaves.
They did not have any flowers and I looked at all the Texas plant
websites that
I know of without any luck.
Perhaps someone can ID these for me?

Small pics web page:
http://home.comcast.net/~pyats/site/
Large pics:
http://home.comcast.net/~pyats/site/?/photos/

Old 31-03-2008, 05:54 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Paul wrote:

I found about 20 of these plants in a cow pasture just east of
Chatfield, Tx.
They look rather formidable with spines and striped leaves.
They did not have any flowers and I looked at all the Texas plant
websites that
I know of without any luck.
Perhaps someone can ID these for me?

Small pics web page:
http://home.comcast.net/~pyats/site/
Large pics:
http://home.comcast.net/~pyats/site/?/photos/

Milk Thistle!

Highly nutritious, very edible.
If those seed, can you send me some please?
I've not seen it around here for years!
I want to cultivate it.

It's also a liver function booster. Milk thistle capsules are good to
take if you drink alcohol on a regular basis.

Peace! Om

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have never
forgotten this." - Heinlein
Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:

I found about 20 of these plants in a cow pasture just east of
Chatfield, Tx.
They look rather formidable with spines and striped leaves.
They did not have any flowers and I looked at all the Texas plant
websites that
I know of without any luck.
Perhaps someone can ID these for me?

Small pics web page:
http://home.comcast.net/~pyats/site/
Large pics:
http://home.comcast.net/~pyats/site/?/photos/

Milk Thistle!

Highly nutritious, very edible.
If those seed, can you send me some please?
I've not seen it around here for years!
I want to cultivate it.

It's also a liver function booster. Milk thistle capsules are good to
take if you drink alcohol on a regular basis.

Thank you for the ID!!
I have never heard of Milk Thistle.
I am in Houston and get up that way once every couple of months.
They are of the beaten path for sure.
Navarro County Road 3270. It is a dirt road. Go about 8 miles, south
side of road,
and just before the sand pit. On the map its the road that goes
straight east towards the river.
http://txdot.lib.utexas.edu/txdot-sh...w=7246&fh=5394
I will try to keep a watch on it and will get seeds if possible.
I may try to dig one out and bring it home if I can find one on public
r.o.w.
Hopefully they are self germinating.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Paul wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:

[...]

http://txdot.lib.utexas.edu/txdot-sh...=800x600&map.x
=401&map.y=297&image=tcnava01.sid&TLx=5055&TLy=114 6&px=508&py=384&pr=100&fw=72
46&fh=5394
I will try to keep a watch on it and will get seeds if possible.
I may try to dig one out and bring it home if I can find one on public
r.o.w.
Hopefully they are self germinating.

What is really amusing is that they are on the "noxious weed" list for
state weed control... ;-) If you google for the history, they used to be
cultivated as a salad green.

Very distinctive plant with those white stripes. I'm glad to know that
they are up and going right now. Some used to grow back in the hill
country area on Devil's backbone so I can also look up in that area but
it's all private property.

I doubt anyone would care if you dug one up.

Since it's a medicinal herb, I can probably get seeds on line somewhere
too. Milk thistle capsules are common and inexpensive. Even Wal-mart
sells them in their vitamin and herb section over in the pharmacy. Like
I said, it's considered to be a major liver booster.

I've also noted that since I started adding them to my supplements, I've
managed to avoid the usual winter viruses. My co-workers all got sick
this year so I was exposed, and never did catch what they had. Knocks
on wood!!! It's a super anti-oxidant.

Old 28-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland

[quote=Paul;781586]I found about 20 of these plants in a cow pasture just east of
Chatfield, Tx.
They look rather formidable with spines and striped leaves.
Sorry I can't view them, there's something wrong with the site they're on.
If they're milk thistle though you're real lucky. I put a few notes together on my site about this incredible plant.

Old 25-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered User

[quote=Hcaterpillar;826143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I found about 20 of these plants in a cow pasture just east of
Chatfield, Tx.
They look rather formidable with spines and striped leaves.
Sorry I can't view them, there's something wrong with the site they're on.
If they're milk thistle though you're real lucky. I put a few notes together on my site about this incredible plant.
I had nettle planted by my gardener. I found the gardener who is able to take care of those rare of my plants at www.proservices.com
It's hard to grow it here and it needs some special treatment.

can thistle be a 3X summer crop?? Cirsium arvense Thistle seed to solve Global Warming [email protected] Plant Science 0 13-07-2006 08:46 PM
I have a prickly thistle stuck up my bottom! Ian Pallfreeman United Kingdom 0 08-12-2004 02:21 PM
Canada thistle EBG Gardening 5 05-05-2004 07:02 AM
seasonal borders/10ft thistle! Niall Smyth United Kingdom 3 20-09-2003 09:03 PM
Echinops (Globe Thistle) Mark B United Kingdom 4 07-09-2003 07:32 PM