Old 23-04-2008, 05:47 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Anyone recognize this.

In article ,
"Cliff" wrote:

My photo skills are evidently lacking, it is not a Lantana.

Cliff
"MrClean" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
This is growing out of the middle of a huge rock pile and seems to come
back
every year. Flowers are pink and small and do not open up much. That
may
be a result of a lack of water. It is certainly drought resistant and a
very tough plant.

Looks like lantana to me..
** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

I can't say.

I did not get the pic. :-(

I have Lantana growing so might help?

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 24-04-2008, 02:12 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Anyone recognize this -new copy of photos

In article ,
"Cliff" wrote:

Here is another copy of the photos, this time not violating the protocol of
the group.

http://tinypic.com/2mphgi34

Why is it violating the group protocol?
There is nothing wrong with posting links. :-)

No, it's not Lantana...
Looks similar to Desert Rose?
Lowe's sells it as a zeroscaping plant.
I'm planning on putting some in the front. It needs something green.
I also have a bunch of variegated vinca to put in. I got it cheap.

,

Old 24-04-2008, 03:23 AM posted to austin.gardening

Cliff wrote:
Here is another copy of the photos, this time not violating the protocol of
the group.

http://tinypic.com/2mphgi34

My photo skills are evidently lacking, it is not a Lantana.

Cliff

,
says...
This is growing out of the middle of a huge rock pile and seems to
come
back
every year. Flowers are pink and small and do not open up much. That
may
be a result of a lack of water. It is certainly drought resistant and
very tough plant.

I got some of that and looked it up a decade ago. When I find the detail
I'll post. It is perennial and not too invasive, but not too
eye-catching either.

jOhN
Old 24-04-2008, 04:05 AM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
Why is it violating the group protocol?
There is nothing wrong with posting links. :-)

I believe he originally posted the actual pictures. Which I never saw
because my ISP strips them off on non-binary newsgroups like this one.

Lowe's sells it as a zeroscaping plant.

I like your spelling... zero care, zero water... zeroscaping!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 24-04-2008, 05:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Omelet wrote:
Why is it violating the group protocol?
There is nothing wrong with posting links. :-)

I believe he originally posted the actual pictures. Which I never saw
because my ISP strips them off on non-binary newsgroups like this one.

So does mine. I never saw the original post, hence my question.

Lowe's sells it as a zeroscaping plant.

I like your spelling... zero care, zero water... zeroscaping!

I've seen it spelled so many ways, it's hard to google for good
prospects. g

This one is a more recent one I ran across that seems to get me better
search info.!

Old 25-04-2008, 12:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
I've seen it spelled so many ways, it's hard to google for good
prospects. g

In case you're interested, the correct spelling is xeriscaping:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 25-04-2008, 01:41 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Omelet wrote:
I've seen it spelled so many ways, it's hard to google for good
prospects. g

In case you're interested, the correct spelling is xeriscaping:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping

Yes, but I've gotten dismal google results spelling it that way. :-(
Might be the way I'm searching tho'. Some people really have the "touch"
with search engines. I seem to have to make a real effort.

Anymore, I just call whatever nursery I'm fixin' to visit and get advice
from them for local plants. They always know what I'm talking about.

Do you grow any mountain Laurel?
I've been putting in more Lantana since there are so many color
varieties. That stuff does really well and it's pretty.
My favorite are the Dallas Reds:

http://i28.tinypic.com/16945yf.jpg

Old 25-04-2008, 04:11 AM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
Anymore, I just call whatever nursery I'm fixin' to visit and get advice
from them for local plants. They always know what I'm talking about.

Natural Gardener is probably the best for xeriscaping.

Do you grow any mountain Laurel?

Two different varieties, regular and "silver peso".

Cheers.

Victor

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 25-04-2008, 03:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Omelet wrote:
Anymore, I just call whatever nursery I'm fixin' to visit and get advice
from them for local plants. They always know what I'm talking about.

Natural Gardener is probably the best for xeriscaping.

Is that in Austin? We have a Gardenville nearby and the lady that runs
the plant section at the local Lowe's is pretty good with xeriscaping
too.

Do you grow any mountain Laurel?

Two different varieties, regular and "silver peso".

Cheers.

Victor

How fast do they grow and will they grow in shade? I just lost my Mimosa
tree this winter so am considering replacing it. I think it died due to
lack of sunlight from the Hackberries.

Too bad too. It was a volunteer. :-(

Old 25-04-2008, 04:31 PM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
Is that in Austin? We have a Gardenville nearby and the lady that runs
the plant section at the local Lowe's is pretty good with xeriscaping
too.

I guess it's outside of Austin... it's on Old Beecave Road.

How fast do they grow and will they grow in shade? I just lost my Mimosa

They are very small growers and like full sun.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 25-04-2008, 04:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

Victor Martinez wrote:
They are very small growers and like full sun.

And of course, by small I mean slow.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 26-04-2008, 05:31 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Omelet wrote:
Is that in Austin? We have a Gardenville nearby and the lady that runs
the plant section at the local Lowe's is pretty good with xeriscaping
too.

I guess it's outside of Austin... it's on Old Beecave Road.

Thanks!

How fast do they grow and will they grow in shade? I just lost my Mimosa

They are very small growers and like full sun.

So much for that. ;-)

Guess I'll just leave the spot bare, or, ooh I just thought of
something! I can orders some plug spawn from fungiperfecti.com and grow
me a batch of mushrooms on the dead Mimosa! Being in full shade, that
might work.

Old 26-04-2008, 05:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"James Lee Johnson" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote:
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:
Omelet wrote:
Anymore, I just call whatever nursery I'm fixin' to visit and get
advice
from them for local plants. They always know what I'm talking about.

Natural Gardener is probably the best for xeriscaping.

Is that in Austin? We have a Gardenville nearby and the lady that runs
the plant section at the local Lowe's is pretty good with xeriscaping
too.

http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/

John Dromgoole was the manager of the Austin Gardenville. He spun off his
own nursery, "The Natural Gardener" many years ago. You've probably seen
John Dromgoole on TV or heard him on the radio.

We are fortunate now that many nurseries have appropriate plants and
expertise. 'Twas not always so. Most nurseries carried what was supplied by
their growers or what was in popular demand. Gardenville was one of the
first to cater to the local environment. The Xeriscape Garden Club of Austin
and the Native Plant Society of Austin are two of the groups which
influenced public opinion and the nursery trade.The City of Austin deserves
some credit also.

jjhnsn

Yes indeed. :-)