Old 14-05-2008, 09:59 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Flying Fat Ass*d Ants

Been having an invasion of ants wanting to take a swim in my pool.
Just a whilst ago I must have skimmed about a couple of hundred out of
the water. Is there anything in the market that will control these
flying Jack Cousteaus? It seems as though the more I take out, the
more find their way to the water. I have controlled the fire ants,
but these cousins of theirs are a pain in the rectum.

Thanks,

Ray
South Austin
===

Old 26-06-2008, 04:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 14 May 2008 15:59:34 -0500, Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

Been having an invasion of ants wanting to take a swim in my pool. Just
a whilst ago I must have skimmed about a couple of hundred out of the
water. Is there anything in the market that will control these flying
Jack Cousteaus? It seems as though the more I take out, the more find
their way to the water. I have controlled the fire ants, but these
cousins of theirs are a pain in the rectum.

Thanks,

Ray
South Austin
===

I remember seeing this onslaught in Houston in our pool when I was
growing up.

Some species of ants release "breeders" with wings during their mating
season. Many of these will end up in your pool. There is really nothing
you can do shy of putting a fine net over your pool or invest in a pool
cover. We just netted out what we could and let the skimmer take care of
the rest.