Old 17-05-2008, 03:30 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Crazy Rasberry Ants

Are you getting these ants up in your area?
Crazy Raspberry Ants

I live in South Houston and we are getting them.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Old 18-05-2008, 04:39 AM posted to austin.gardening

Moe Jones wrote:
Are you getting these ants up in your area?
Crazy Raspberry Ants

I live in South Houston and we are getting them.

Just read about them today. They are hoping the little *******s will
stay close to the coast. From what I read they eat fireants and kick
their butts completely.

Good luck.

jOhN
Old 18-05-2008, 05:45 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Moe Jones wrote:

Are you getting these ants up in your area?
Crazy Raspberry Ants

I live in South Houston and we are getting them.

I thought this was a joke at first.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3941545.ece

-sw

The article specified that "Unfortunately, the ants also like to suck the
moisture from plants". All the grass and weeds immediately in the front of
the house in fall seemed to have died from lack of water. Whereas, the rest
of the yard was fine. I did notice numerous small orange colored ants on
the porch the past few days. They were bigger than fleas, another link said
they are same size as fleas. Looked similar to "sugar ants" my grandmother
called them. I've seen no fire ants in the vicinity of the front of the
house as matter of fact.

I checked here with a picture of said culprits:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24620246/
Haven't seen these.
No grubs in the ground either.
Really strange.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.

Old 18-05-2008, 11:43 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
Are you getting these ants up in your area?
Crazy Raspberry Ants

I live in South Houston and we are getting them.

Just read about them today. They are hoping the little *******s will
stay close to the coast. From what I read they eat fireants and kick
their butts completely.

Good luck.

jOhN

If they eat fireants, they are WELCOME here!
Somebody ship me a colony, quick. ;-)

We can't grow raspberries here anyway. The climate is wrong.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 18-05-2008, 05:11 PM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
Are you getting these ants up in your area?
Crazy Raspberry Ants

I live in South Houston and we are getting them.

Just read about them today. They are hoping the little *******s will
stay close to the coast. From what I read they eat fireants and kick
their butts completely.

Good luck.

jOhN

If they eat fireants, they are WELCOME here!
Somebody ship me a colony, quick. ;-)

We can't grow raspberries here anyway. The climate is wrong.

Careful what you wish for....they're named rasberry because of the guy
who discovered them. Apparently they are a mucho prolific species and
can multiply beyond the ability to control them even with pretty deadly
pesticides. The Rasberry guy is a pest control operator and he thinks
they are bad news for his business since their resistance to control
leave his customers unsatisfied. He goes on to say he probably loses
money on every job in order to attempt to satisfy his clients.

Chase down some info on the web if you want to know more. Heck, they
even take down computers according to an article in Information Week!

http://tinyurl.com/6ftvwn

Old 18-05-2008, 07:31 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

If they eat fireants, they are WELCOME here!
Somebody ship me a colony, quick. ;-)

We can't grow raspberries here anyway. The climate is wrong.

Careful what you wish for....they're named rasberry because of the guy
who discovered them. Apparently they are a mucho prolific species and
can multiply beyond the ability to control them even with pretty deadly
pesticides. The Rasberry guy is a pest control operator and he thinks
they are bad news for his business since their resistance to control
leave his customers unsatisfied. He goes on to say he probably loses
money on every job in order to attempt to satisfy his clients.

Chase down some info on the web if you want to know more. Heck, they
even take down computers according to an article in Information Week!

http://tinyurl.com/6ftvwn

Yeah, I saw that when I read up on them.

Thing is, fire ants do THE SAME THING, even building nests in computers,
and electrical boxes.

But fire ants destroy wildlife and damage humans too.

If I had a choice between the two, at least the Rasberry ants don't hurt
so much, or kill like fire ants do.

The lesser of two evils. ;-)

Old 19-05-2008, 07:08 AM posted to austin.gardening

"jOhN" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
[...]

Did see something on TV about them as well. They (TV) emphasized electronic
gizmos. Yet, they showed an extremely short video of a well pump solenoid
as an example. This is an ELECTRICAL device with moving parts (relay) that
activates a pump deep within the ground. Think both the news media and
others should look into the difference between electrical and electronic
before trying to convey facts, irregardless if the general public does not
know the difference. A well pump is a source of water, which can be more
important than any PC.

Old 20-05-2008, 04:25 AM posted to austin.gardening

Dioclese wrote:
"jOhN" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
[...]

Not if that PC controls 50 well pumps ;-)
Old 21-05-2008, 12:57 AM posted to austin.gardening

Dioclese wrote:
"jOhN" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
[...]

We were having ants get on pump relays back in the '60s, before fire
ants were around. Every so often, there wouldn't be any water in the
house and one of us kids would have to go down to the pump house and
bang on the solenoid with a screwdriver to knock all the ants out of it.

I'm not sure these things have spread enough for us to tell yet what
sort of impact they're gonna have on wildlife. Bet the overall
consequences won't be good, though.

DT
Old 21-05-2008, 03:27 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
dt wrote:

Dioclese wrote:
"jOhN" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
[...]

Better than fire ants... The fire ants are wiping out ground nesting
birds such as meadowlark and bobwhite quail.

Old 21-05-2008, 06:30 AM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
dt wrote:

Dioclese wrote:
"jOhN" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
[...]

The rasberry's are taking out the fire ants so I'm kinda guessing they
are not particularly benign ;-)

The species they say is related in South America may kill animals by
clogging their breathing passages.........not a good visual.

Too many of any species is not a good thing.
Old 21-05-2008, 06:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Better than fire ants... The fire ants are wiping out ground nesting
birds such as meadowlark and bobwhite quail.

The rasberry's are taking out the fire ants so I'm kinda guessing they
are not particularly benign ;-)

The species they say is related in South America may kill animals by
clogging their breathing passages.........not a good visual.

Too many of any species is not a good thing.

While I see what you mean, the bloody fire ants are already out of hand.

I used to do wildlife rescue.

Fire ant fawns are not pretty...

Old 22-05-2008, 03:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Better than fire ants... The fire ants are wiping out ground nesting
birds such as meadowlark and bobwhite quail.

The rasberry's are taking out the fire ants so I'm kinda guessing they
are not particularly benign ;-)

The species they say is related in South America may kill animals by
clogging their breathing passages.........not a good visual.

Too many of any species is not a good thing.

While I see what you mean, the bloody fire ants are already out of hand.

I used to do wildlife rescue.

Fire ant fawns are not pretty...
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Ants in general do the cleanup duty of carcasses in drier areas of the
country. I have seen carrion eating birds jumping wildly near some not so
fresh carcasses, then flying away. A closer inspection I saw fireants.

I tend to thing there is some relationship between the very obvious decline
of harvester ants, and the fireant population. I do not see any horned
toads any longer.
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-5314.html

There may be similar implications with another species of ant roaming the
local area.
--
Dave

Old 22-05-2008, 06:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Better than fire ants... The fire ants are wiping out ground nesting
birds such as meadowlark and bobwhite quail.

The rasberry's are taking out the fire ants so I'm kinda guessing they
are not particularly benign ;-)

The species they say is related in South America may kill animals by
clogging their breathing passages.........not a good visual.

Too many of any species is not a good thing.

While I see what you mean, the bloody fire ants are already out of hand.

I used to do wildlife rescue.

Fire ant fawns are not pretty...

Ants in general do the cleanup duty of carcasses in drier areas of the
country. I have seen carrion eating birds jumping wildly near some not so
fresh carcasses, then flying away. A closer inspection I saw fireants.

The fire ants KILL fawns, not clean them up after they die on their own.

I was talking about trying to save one still living that has several
thousand stings. :-(

I tend to thing there is some relationship between the very obvious decline
of harvester ants, and the fireant population. I do not see any horned
toads any longer.
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-5314.html

There may be similar implications with another species of ant roaming the
local area.

Yeah, but at least you can let the rasberry ants crawl on you.
I'd not try that with fire ants...

It all comes down to the lesser of two evils, kinda like Presidential
candidates. g

Old 23-05-2008, 03:26 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

[...]

Didn't mean to digress from the live-kill on fawns issue. Excuse my
insensitivity.

At this point, we don't know all the potentials for the rasberry ant
altering the native habitat. So, I reserve my own judgment on that end.
--
Dave