Old 30-06-2008, 04:14 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Hornworms on my Datura

Last evening, I made a quick run through my flowerbeds. I have datura
that grows wild in one of my beds on the side of my house. I noticed
that many of the plants' leaves were eaten, some with nothing left but
the stem. Upon closer examination, I found the culprit, hornworms. I
picked four off of the plants and disposed of them.

The daturas that I have can handle it and I'm not too worried about
them. I planted one a year ago and now have about twenty growing there
now. These things are so prolific that they are growing ON TOP of the
plastic weed stop I laid down last year so, I know that they can handle
it. Besides, they are on the side of my house where no one ever goes, so
it's no big loss if they all get eaten to the ground.

However, this year, I'm growing tomatoes. While I planted them too late
for a spring harvest (it's my first year, I didn't know any better), I
would like for them to stick around long enough for fall tomatoes.
Currently, the tomatoes show no signs of infestation other than the usual
leaf miners.

I figure I have three options:
1) Let them have the daturas and hope they don't discover the tomatoes
in the back yard. Pick the worms off as I see them.

2) Spray the daturas with BT and hope that I'm stopping the problem at
the beginning.

3) Spray the daturas, tomatoes and anything else around my home that has
tasty looking leaves that these guys may be interested in with BT as a
preventative measure.

Old 30-06-2008, 04:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

ArcherB wrote:
3) Spray the daturas, tomatoes and anything else around my home that has
tasty looking leaves that these guys may be interested in with BT as a
preventative measure.

I would spray with BT any plant that has worms in them. It's very quick
to act.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Help, hornworms!!!!!!!! cathych Gardening 17 01-10-2006 06:49 AM
@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!! Katra Edible Gardening 35 17-07-2004 09:02 PM
Hawk Moths, Tomato Hornworms, and Nightshade Archie Ritter Edible Gardening 2 11-08-2003 07:32 PM
Geez! Tomato Hornworms Lisa Edible Gardening 15 12-07-2003 12:21 AM