Old 11-08-2008, 02:19 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Winter Crop

Can you please recommend a crop to grow this summer for a winter in
containers?

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Old 11-08-2008, 03:25 PM posted to austin.gardening
DT DT is offline

Moe Jones wrote:
Can you please recommend a crop to grow this summer for a winter in
containers?

Looks like you're in Houston? Check with the Harris County Extension
Service. They've got a planting calendar on
http://harris-tx.tamu.edu/hort/pubs/vegherb.htm . You may have to
decide for yourself what you can grow in containers, however; leafy
things are usually good, but root crops could take some big containers.

FWIW, there's an Extension Office in every county in Texas. They can be
a great source of local information on soil types, planting dates, etc.

DT
Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Moe Jones" wrote:

Can you please recommend a crop to grow this summer for a winter in
containers?

Moat greens crop work for winter.
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, spinach etc.
My personal favorite is Swiss Chard. I'd like to try Bok Choy this year.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article , DT
wrote:

Moe Jones wrote:
Can you please recommend a crop to grow this summer for a winter in
containers?

Looks like you're in Houston? Check with the Harris County Extension
Service. They've got a planting calendar on
http://harris-tx.tamu.edu/hort/pubs/vegherb.htm . You may have to
decide for yourself what you can grow in containers, however; leafy
things are usually good, but root crops could take some big containers.

FWIW, there's an Extension Office in every county in Texas. They can be
a great source of local information on soil types, planting dates, etc.

DT

And they will mail you packets of info. :-)
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 13-08-2008, 01:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

DT wrote:
Moe Jones wrote:
Can you please recommend a crop to grow this summer for a winter in
containers?

Looks like you're in Houston? Check with the Harris County Extension
Service. They've got a planting calendar on
http://harris-tx.tamu.edu/hort/pubs/vegherb.htm . You may have to
decide for yourself what you can grow in containers, however; leafy
things are usually good, but root crops could take some big
containers.
FWIW, there's an Extension Office in every county in Texas. They can
be a great source of local information on soil types, planting dates,
etc.
DT

Thank you for the link.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Old 14-08-2008, 04:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Moe Jones" wrote:

Can you please recommend a crop to grow this summer for a winter in
containers?

Moat greens crop work for winter.
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, spinach etc.
My personal favorite is Swiss Chard. I'd like to try Bok Choy this year.

Where do you get the above winter plants, or do you go from seed?

Old 14-08-2008, 06:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article , "Dudly"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Moe Jones" wrote:

Can you please recommend a crop to grow this summer for a winter in
containers?

Most greens crop work for winter.
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, spinach etc.
My personal favorite is Swiss Chard. I'd like to try Bok Choy this year.

Where do you get the above winter plants, or do you go from seed?

You can start from seed, but I get mine from a local nursery in Austin.
A really cool place that's helped me with Organic pest control called
"It's About Thyme".

I'm kinda lazy. I prefer to start with bedding plants. ;-)

The nice thing about winter gardening of crucifers is there is far less
issue with insect pests.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)