Old 28-09-2008, 04:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Too Late for tomatoes

I live in the City of South Houston and when IKE hit us , it wiped out my
tomato plants that were growing in containers. It has been two weeks since
IKE and I finally found one nursery that had a few tomato plants for sale.
They were SUN LEAPER tomato plants and I am thinking that we might have
enough time to get a few tomatoes, Green or Red, before the first frost.
Am I right?

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Old 30-09-2008, 12:25 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
I live in the City of South Houston and when IKE hit us , it wiped out my
tomato plants that were growing in containers. It has been two weeks since
IKE and I finally found one nursery that had a few tomato plants for sale.
They were SUN LEAPER tomato plants and I am thinking that we might have
enough time to get a few tomatoes, Green or Red, before the first frost.
Am I right?

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

If we don't get a frost within 2-3 months your tomatoes should be fine. In
this part of the country we hardly ever get a frost before January. Unless
it's an unusual year. Try it anyway you might get lucky. We planted 3
Celebritys today.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 AM posted to austin.gardening

Moe Jones wrote:
I live in the City of South Houston and when IKE hit us , it wiped out my
tomato plants that were growing in containers. It has been two weeks since
IKE and I finally found one nursery that had a few tomato plants for sale.
They were SUN LEAPER tomato plants and I am thinking that we might have
enough time to get a few tomatoes, Green or Red, before the first frost.
Am I right?

I live in Katy. Last year, iirc, we had three nights of light frost. I put light bulbs by my
plants and they came thru ok. With global warming we may not even have frost
any more. There is the lighting problem though. You may have to use grow lights
on timers to extend daylight to make them think it is a cool summer up north.

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 01:24 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too little water???? Brad and Julie Vaughn Lawns 9 04-09-2003 01:22 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 02:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 04:24 AM
too late to prune tomatoes ?? James Bass Gardening 4 09-08-2003 09:02 AM