Old 10-11-2008, 03:41 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Live Oak "runners"

I have an oak tree in my front yard which I believe to be a live oak. I
constantly have "runners" emerge in the mulch that I have spread at
the base. Is there a safe way to suppress these? I have snipped them
off but they seem to always come back with a vengeance.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:41 PM posted to austin.gardening

"cledus" wrote in message
I have an oak tree in my front yard which I believe to be a live oak. I
constantly have "runners" emerge in the mulch that I have spread at the
base. Is there a safe way to suppress these? I have snipped them off but
they seem to always come back with a vengeance.

Other than the "cedar" (juniper ashe), the next prevailing tree in the hill
country is the live oak. Should be easy to coorelate. If you can ID it as
an oak right now, and the leaves are still green, its most likely a live
oak. The red oaks leaves are turning red/orange now.

Its unclear to me whether you mean "runners" in terms of roots. Or, shoots
from rhizomes.

Most of the live oaks on my place are in distress. They are sprouting
shoots from rhizomes en masse. Shoots are also sprouting from the primary
trunks as well, relatively low to the ground. Primarily, distress is due to
the formerly wet period in early spring going directly to a long drought.

This link may help you ID the tree, and, contact an arborist if needed.
http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/blliveo.htm
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 AM posted to austin.gardening

Dioclese wrote:
"cledus" wrote in message
[...]

It still has all of its leaves and they are green. So it is most likely
a live oak. I have a ring of mulch at the base of the tree. I have what
appears to be roots near the surface that run through the mulch. A foot
or so away from the trunk, leaves emerge from these "roots". Not being
an expert, I don't know if these are rhizomes or actual roots. I have
been snipping off the leaves for cosmetic reasons. But they always
reappear fairly quickly. Thank you for your response.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

"cledus" wrote in message
Dioclese wrote:
"cledus" wrote in message
[...]

Rhizomes are starchy areas in a root which may sprout shoots. These shoots
usually are accompanied by leaves. Essentially, a branch growing from the
root in a manner of speaking. Sounds like your description as well. I
don't think the mulch has anything to do with the shoot's appearance.

Read here on purpose (reproduction) of rhizome shoots of the live oak:
http://elpaso.tamu.edu/research/Docs...live%20oak.pdf

If you damage the roots in desperation, you may be setting yourself up and
your neighbors for oak wilt.
http://www.volente.org/docs/oakwiltarticles.html

Old 12-11-2008, 02:55 AM posted to austin.gardening

Dioclese wrote:
"cledus" wrote in message
Dioclese wrote:
"cledus" wrote in message
[...]

Good info (and very worrisome). Thanks.

Red "berries" attached to Live Oak leaves. Scarlett Texas 4 12-11-2005 02:24 PM
Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
Live Oak "molting" Wondering BJ in Texas Texas 4 18-04-2004 12:09 AM
Live Oak "molting" Scarlett Texas 7 09-04-2004 08:33 PM
What is a good price for a 2" CAL Oak Tree (Live) RM Texas 1 20-01-2004 02:03 PM