Old 31-01-2009, 04:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Question regarding rainfall collection

Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain collection
and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

jOhN
Old 31-01-2009, 09:53 PM posted to austin.gardening

"jOhN" wrote in message
Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain collection
and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

What is this *rain* of which you speak?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 AM posted to austin.gardening

"charliekilo" wrote in message
news
"jOhN" wrote in message
Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain collection
and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

What is this *rain* of which you speak?

Years ago, there were water droplets that fell from the sky. This they
called rain. The fallen water droplets accumulated in pools, filled low
spots, made things called creeks and rivers. Enough of this "rain" fell in
a given year to keep all the foliage green almost the entire year. No, I'm
not kidding.

Also, a few years ago, they used a system called weather forecasting that
was reasonably accurate for rain forecast on a given day in the future.
They used a percentage of coverage of area. For example 50% forecast of
rain meant they anticipated the rain to cover 50% of the regional area.
They still use that system. What's changed is the percentage, never used
before like 10%. And what they refer to as rain now was called a minor
drizzle back then.

Some scientific minds call this change as climatic, some call it carbon gas
saturation. Some call it both. The obvious change is the jet stream which
is causing the west to east boundary blockage. This pushes appreciable
precipitation further east versus the recent past in our general area of the
world. Oddly, the difference in air temperature horizontally, thus air
pressure, is what causes the jet stream which flows around high and low
pressure cells. The high pressure cell movement has also changed from
generally south to a more southeasterly direction vs. recent history. Until
this changes to further SE, or reverts to the former general south
direction, we will remain in the middle of a low rain situation. Also known
as a drought.
--
Dave

Old 06-02-2009, 10:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
DT DT is offline

charliekilo wrote:
"jOhN" wrote in message
Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain collection
and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

What is this *rain* of which you speak?

I'm reminded of the old farmer back in the '50s, who hoped it would rain
soon:

"Not for myself, you understand. I've seen rain. But my son, he's only
twelve..."

DT
Old 07-02-2009, 07:02 AM posted to austin.gardening

jOhN wrote:
Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain collection
and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

jOhN

So I guess no one around here does any rainfall collecting. Anyone?

jOhN

Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

jOhN wrote:
Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain collection
and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

jOhN

There has been a seller of barrels on Craigslist lately that has blue
barrels, in various sizes, that contained Dr. Pepper syrup. 55gal are
$30. Search Craigslist for "barrel".
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 AM posted to austin.gardening

Gary Brady wrote:
jOhN wrote:
Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain
collection and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

jOhN

There has been a seller of barrels on Craigslist lately that has blue
barrels, in various sizes, that contained Dr. Pepper syrup. 55gal are
$30. Search Craigslist for "barrel".

Thanks - looks promising
Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

John,
I have a 300 gallon container in the back yard that I use to water
plants. I just tapped into the downspouts, and routed it into the tank.

Mark

Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 AM posted to austin.gardening

"jOhN" wrote in message
jOhN wrote:
Although I heard that Cedar Park and Home Depot were working a deal on
barrels I've not been able to confirm that with the city. On the other
hand, without rain there is not much use for a barrel :-(

I guess they could be considered yard art if decorated appropriately.

My question is what local Austin gardeners are using for rain collection
and their sources of supply for materials.

We might as well discuss it while waiting for some rain.............

jOhN

So I guess no one around here does any rainfall collecting. Anyone?

jOhN

I hope the recent rain helped get it filled. What kind of container is
it and where'd you get it?

jOhN
Old 16-02-2009, 04:30 AM posted to austin.gardening

John,

It is a black Poly you can get them at 290 Fence, in Dripping Springs,
or I saw them at Cedar Park tractor Supply.

I got this one at 290 Fence for $200.

Yes the tank overflowed with the last rains.

Mark

http://local.yahoo.com/info-19365522...gs%2C+TX+78620

"jOhN" wrote in message
news