Old 27-04-2009, 04:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Organic Vegetable Fertilizer

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

--
Mark

Old 27-04-2009, 05:33 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

Composted manure.

It really is that simple. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 27-04-2009, 06:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

Composted manure.

It really is that simple. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

I have heard using John's Recipe from The Natural Gardener, would that
help??

Old 27-04-2009, 06:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

Composted manure.

It really is that simple. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Is there somewhere to get some at low cost?

Old 27-04-2009, 07:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

Composted manure.

It really is that simple. ;-)

I have heard using John's Recipe from The Natural Gardener, would that
help??

I'd have to know the recipe and am not familiar with that, sorry.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Old 27-04-2009, 07:20 PM posted to austin.gardening

"The Cowboy" wrote in message
I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?
**************

I grow tomatoes in pots in nothing but pecan leaf compost with a bag of
cheap manure mixed in. I only feed them a blender full of egg shells, banana
peels, coffee grounds, and a little molasses poured in a gallon of rainwater
a couple of times a season.

I like getting a 50lb bag each of alfalfa pellets and dried molasses from
Buck Moore Feed store on Lamar. I just called and they're around $13 a bag.

Coffee grounds from Starbucks are free......

Old 27-04-2009, 07:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

Composted manure.

It really is that simple. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Is there somewhere to get some at low cost?

Mom and dad (and I) always got it for free.
Are there any livestock yards near you?

We were near a chicken ranch and shoveled our own for free.

Most good garden centers should carry some tho' if you are unable to
work for it like we did. :-)

Cattle lots, anyone that raises rabbits or chickens would be delighted
to have you come and do some cleaning for free.

Even composted horse manure is not bad, but tends to be a bit hot. It
needs to compost a little longer than cattle or chicken. Same goes for
rabbit due to the acidic urine.

Alternately, if you are up to it, there is "humanure". Compost from a
local human waste plant, or you could save your own like the Japanese do.

I've never been that brave. g
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 27-04-2009, 07:42 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"The Cowboy" wrote in message
I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?
**************

I grow tomatoes in pots in nothing but pecan leaf compost with a bag of
cheap manure mixed in. I only feed them a blender full of egg shells, banana
peels, coffee grounds, and a little molasses poured in a gallon of rainwater
a couple of times a season.

You are making compost tea? How long do you let it soak?

Old 27-04-2009, 08:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"The Cowboy" wrote in message
I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?
**************

I grow tomatoes in pots in nothing but pecan leaf compost with a bag
of
cheap manure mixed in. I only feed them a blender full of egg shells,
banana
peels, coffee grounds, and a little molasses poured in a gallon of
rainwater
a couple of times a season.

You are making compost tea? How long do you let it soak?

I do make compost tea and alfalfa tea at times (aerated for three days),
but this is just a kitchen leftovers smoothie and I pour it right on. I
figure the soil microbes will eat what they want.
Dang, I always forget to mention using Epsom salt, too.

Old 27-04-2009, 09:53 PM posted to austin.gardening

The Cowboy wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

Composted manure.

It really is that simple. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Is there somewhere to get some at low cost?

HEB has bags of it. IIRC, it is about $3 or $4 for one cu.ft.

Old 28-04-2009, 05:52 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"The Cowboy" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds interesting. I've never tried that.

Old 28-04-2009, 06:33 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"The Cowboy" wrote in message
[...]

My experiment is really growing food (tomatoes) on the cheap and see how
it goes. I or anyone can go get all the meals and pricey fish emulsion and
Biozome and expensive potting soil, and create some $5 each tomatoes, but
that won't help people who can't afford that.
Coincidentally, my tomato plants were really taking off, but looking a
little yellow on the tops yesterday when I wrote to this thread. This
morning, they're all back to a nice healthy green. Was it the smoothie? Who
knows, but that's what I did...

Old 28-04-2009, 07:38 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

I do make compost tea and alfalfa tea at times (aerated for three
days),
but this is just a kitchen leftovers smoothie and I pour it right on. I
figure the soil microbes will eat what they want.
Dang, I always forget to mention using Epsom salt, too.

Sounds interesting. I've never tried that.

My experiment is really growing food (tomatoes) on the cheap and see how
it goes. I or anyone can go get all the meals and pricey fish emulsion and
Biozome and expensive potting soil, and create some $5 each tomatoes, but
that won't help people who can't afford that.
Coincidentally, my tomato plants were really taking off, but looking a
little yellow on the tops yesterday when I wrote to this thread. This
morning, they're all back to a nice healthy green. Was it the smoothie? Who
knows, but that's what I did...

I'm always interested in growing on the cheap!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 AM posted to austin.gardening

Starbucks gives away large bags of used coffee grounds for gardens. I've
used it before and am using now and have had good results. I'm growing
similar plants to yours.

--
John Mayson
Austin, Texas, USA
Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 10 May 2009, Sqwertz wrote:

On Sun, 10 May 2009 20:57:05 -0500, John Mayson wrote:

Starbucks gives away large bags of used coffee grounds for gardens. I've
used it before and am using now and have had good results. I'm growing
similar plants to yours.

With profits down 77% last quarter, expect them to start charging
for them. Or not having nearly enough for customer demands.

I'm probably saving them money as they don't have to pay someone to haul
them to the landfill.

Just picked up 3 bags of them a week ago. I could've taken more but
didn't want to be greedy.

John

--
John Mayson