Old 24-10-2012, 05:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default tomato gardening--questions from a total novice

Yeah, I didn't water mine nearly everyday. Got lazy and the tomato plant died!!

On Saturday, 15 February 1997 16:00:00 UTC+8, wrote:
(George Leake) writes:
I might have more questions, but any advice would be helpful...mainly how
to avoid the hot summer sun--grow in partial shade? And what about
watering--any way to regulate that unpreditable Texas weather--perhaps to
use pots? Also what about pest control--I was thinking tobacco juice might
be dicey considering they are both nightshade family.

Thanks

--

"100% original"
"You can write a book on each of my thoughts"

George Leake

Why would you want to avoid "the hot summer
sun"? Tomatoes are not a shade plant even if they
are in the "nightshade" family, (Ha, ha.) Seriously,
all tomatoes need are good growing conditions. Mine
have done fine with a lot of compost rototilled into
my blackland prairie clay soil. I water nearly every
day to keep the soil moisture even. (Fluctuating soil
moisture supposedly causes the tomatoes to crack.)
As far as mulching goes, I don't bother. The shade
of the luxuriant leaves cover every square inch of
the ground in just a couple of months.
To avoid pests and disease, choose tomato
varieties that are resistant. For instance, Park's
Whopper Improved Tomato resists two strains of
fusarium wilt, plus verticillium wilt, root knot
nematodes and tobacco mosaic virus. I mail order
from Park's Seed Catalog, 1-864-223-7333.
I've had the best production from cherry
tomato plants. Also, the birds don't seem as
interested in pecking the small tomatoes. I might
have to give up and purchase netting to keep the
pests away from my big tomatoes. I'll also be
trying some full size yellow tomatoes. Maybe the
birds won't recognize them as food.
Shelley

Old 20-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered User

Location: New york

You have to watering your tomato plant regularly so that they will not die...

collegefootballwinning.com
Old 14-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Growing tomatoes is not that great as it can be seen. It needs a lot of care and attention. Even in watering you need to take care. You should water deeply and regularly while plants are developing. Irregular watering can lead to blossom end rot and cracking the fruit. Apart from water you need to provide enough light and organic tomato fertilizer to feed your tomatoes. You know know more about how to grow tomatoes before you go for planting them or else you will end up killing them.
Fruit Trees
Old 29-03-2013, 09:09 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

[quote=ankitrocks;973133]You have to watering your tomato plant regularly so that they will not die...

generally i look my self my garden and watering them regularly and it works....my tomato is bigger and red.