Old 19-02-2003, 02:56 AM
Sandra McBride

Default Roses?

I need a good climbing rose bush that thrives (or at least survives in heat
and full sun). Southfacing on a white rock house.

What about these varieties, any experience with them?

Climbing 4th of July
Blaze
Don Juan
Red Cascade
New Dawn
Jaune Desprez
Dortmund
Marechal Niel*
Westerland
Climbing America

I prefer red or yellow flowers. Thanks for your advice!

Old 19-02-2003, 04:45 AM
Mr. Chaos 007

Got several Don Juans. Did really great at first, the best part is their
great fragrance!!!!!!! And they bloom all the time sometimes profusely.

Seems though last year they were slow growing, maybe I hurt them somehow or
over fertilized. They are in a raised bed, west facing.

I have some Tropicana's that have done very well, but they are a bush rose.

Old 19-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Steve Coyle

On the posted list of Roses my favorite would be Don Juan and Dortmund
..I second the opinion on Don Juan, and as far as the Dortmund goes,
this is a more aggressive grower for a landscape Rose. ( For cut
flowers I'd use the Don Juan, the Dortmund is a single ) Brilliant
red, with a white center, yellow stamens. What I like about it for a
landscape Rose is that the leaves are real glossy and bright. It is
a thorny Rose, so it's ideal for fences and less so if it is going to
be on the edge of a sidewalk where people can bang into it.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

Old 20-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Dave-tx

On 19 Feb 2003 14:23:44 -0800, Steve Coyle wrote:
On the posted list of Roses my favorite would be Don Juan and Dortmund
.I second the opinion on Don Juan, and as far as the Dortmund goes,
this is a more aggressive grower for a landscape Rose. ( For cut
flowers I'd use the Don Juan, the Dortmund is a single ) Brilliant
red, with a white center, yellow stamens. What I like about it for a
landscape Rose is that the leaves are real glossy and bright. It is
a thorny Rose, so it's ideal for fences and less so if it is going to
be on the edge of a sidewalk where people can bang into it.

Any recommendations as to where I can buy either of these types? I'm not
a frequent buyer of plants, so I really don't know what places are good,
and what to avoid.

Thanks,
Dave