Do squirrels eat tomatoes?

Old 21-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Wayfarer

Default Do squirrels eat tomatoes?

Ok, I know the birds eat my tomatoes, but they usually do it from the top or
sides. I had three tomatoes just about ready and they have been eaten away
from underneath -- so they look great and you go to pick and all that is
left is the top! No it wasn't insects and it happened in the space of a
day.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

Old 21-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Yeah, our squirrels eat tomatoes sometimes. We bribe them with corn, that
seems to help some.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 21-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Wayfarer

The tomatoes were just at the "right" level for those guys to reach up and
feast.

I used to feed the squirrels and birds (so my indoor cats could have
something to get all excited about) but quit - out of work out of money
- guess if I want any tomatoes I will have to start feeding them
something they like better again.

Old 22-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Gary Brady

I had three tomatoes just about ready and they have been eaten away
from underneath -- so they look great and you go to pick and all that is
left is the top!

Sounds like you have a box turtle in your garden!
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 22-05-2003, 04:56 PM
animaux

I've had rodents eat my tomatoes. We don't have squirrels, maybe one once in a
while, but we do have rats and mice.

Old 23-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Wayfarer

We had rats around last year but neighborhood cats have got them all now (my
cats are strictly indoor). No turtles (well except for next door neighbor's
indoor pet turtle) -- I used to have turtles as pets but not for years --
but we have 7 or 8 squirrels I can count -- always a couple in the back yard
or up on my picnic table (I, my dog, and three cats all love to watch them
and I feed them sunflower seeds right up next to the glass patio door where
the squirrels go nan-nan-nan-nan to the dog and cats cause they know they
can't get out to catch them -- pretty funny). Didn't think they ate
tomatoes though.

Old 31-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Wayfarer

That IS pretty conclusive!

Old 07-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
Live report from the frontlines.
Driving up from St.Eds in South Austin on the Southwest corner of
Monroe is a front yard vegetable garden with big tomato plants, cages
and aluminum pans to scare the birds. Stopped at the intersection I
watched a squirrel snatch a huge green tomato and try to scamper away.
It's at the top of an incline to the creek so the squirrel would try
to run with the tomato in it's mouth drop it and then chase it as it
rolled down the road. Snatching it up and dropping it while dodging
traffic.
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 07-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Texensis

"Steve Coyle" wrote in message
om...
| Howdy folks,
| Live report from the frontlines.
| Driving up from St.Eds in South Austin on the Southwest corner
of
| Monroe is a front yard vegetable garden with big tomato plants,
cages
| and aluminum pans to scare the birds. Stopped at the intersection I
| watched a squirrel snatch a huge green tomato and try to scamper
away.
| It's at the top of an incline to the creek so the squirrel would try
| to run with the tomato in it's mouth drop it and then chase it as it
| rolled down the road. Snatching it up and dropping it while dodging
| traffic.
| Steve Coyle
| www.austingardencenter.com

This is the famous "Peace on Earth" tomato farm.

evil squirrels! Louis Brooks Bonsai 18 09-04-2003 10:08 PM
squirrels / bird feeder solution Robbin Texas 0 27-03-2003 10:32 PM
evil squirrels! Doonemd Bonsai 1 26-03-2003 07:56 PM
Slow Germinating Tomatoes? Fleemo Gardening 5 03-03-2003 08:15 AM
***** Squirrels Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 29-01-2003 01:19 AM