Old 10-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Default What's digging holes in my yard?

Animal control might let you borrow a trap for critters such as possums and
raccoons, and you might be able to get a cat to get into one of those for a
cheap catnip toy.

"Fred G" wrote in message
I live on the end of my building and there is a "catwalk" (ironic) that
hides cable and phone lines. They walk across that and make it to the
balcony. I hate to poison them, and animal control won't do anything about
cats usually. As I said, I don't think it should be my responsibility to
train her cats, but if she's not willing to keep them inside. BUT found

this
morning that one had actually crapped on the concrete (and the cat must

have
been sick... YUK!) that I had to go clean up. I've tried cactus-type of
plants on the ledge to block them, but they've managed to knock them off

and
I'm out the cost of the pots and plants.

Old 10-11-2003, 08:42 PM
cat daddy

"Fred G" wrote in message
I live on the end of my building and there is a "catwalk" (ironic) that
hides cable and phone lines. They walk across that and make it to the
balcony. I hate to poison them, and animal control won't do anything about
cats usually. As I said, I don't think it should be my responsibility to
train her cats, but if she's not willing to keep them inside. BUT found

this
morning that one had actually crapped on the concrete (and the cat must

have
been sick... YUK!) that I had to go clean up. I've tried cactus-type of
plants on the ledge to block them, but they've managed to knock them off

and
I'm out the cost of the pots and plants.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask for "hardware cloth". It's large and
rigid wire screen. Cut to the diameter of the pot, snip to the center and
cut a hole the size of the plant. They probably also have a larger screen
for multi-stemmed plants that could grow right through.
You could probably use a bit of screen to block off the catwalk, as well.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:42 PM
OtherOne

If these are the same thing I've got, they're definitely *not* armadillos
(unless they are *extremely* tiny armadillos). These are little mounds of
dirt. 2-3 inches in diameter ~1 inch in height. with a small hole, maybe 1/4
inch or less under each mound (see original post). Also, far too many, and
the wrong time of year for cicada killers. They are also not mudbugs,
(crawdads) the area is way too dry.

Any more guesses?

"Chris" wrote in message
Welcome to the wonderful world of armadillos. Pesky little varmits that

are
quite difficult to get rid of once they descend on your yard. They dig in
search of grub worms so I would suggest checking for and treating for

grubs
in your yard. Other than that you can use a variety of scents (wolf ****,
coyote urine, etc) to scare them off. Mostly blind, they find their way
around by habit and by smell.

Good luck.
Chris

"Brian Anderson" wrote in message
A whole village of little black dirt hills appeared in my yard
seemingly overnight. There must be 20-30 of them in one 10x12
area, most about three inches in diameter. There are similar
but smaller villages elsewhere in the yard.

I scraped some of the dirt hills away and found a small hole,
maybe 3/8" in diameter, under each one. It looks like the
hole of a burrowing snake or something.

What have I got? Is this thing harmful to the lawn, or does
its tunneling help aerate the ground? The areas it has chosen
to tunnel in are only sparsely covered with grass, so it
really can't do much damage unless it spreads to the healthier
areas.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

This description actually sounds like ants, especially with the "way too
dry" area. Take a peek here and compa
http://www.insectlore.com/xinsectuca..._activity.html

****,

Old 11-11-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

Probably worm castings. I have them all over the place and I welcome them and
love them! Best fertilizer money can buy.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:35:27 -0600, "OtherOne" opined:

If these are the same thing I've got, they're definitely *not* armadillos
(unless they are *extremely* tiny armadillos). These are little mounds of
dirt. 2-3 inches in diameter ~1 inch in height. with a small hole, maybe 1/4
inch or less under each mound (see original post). Also, far too many, and
the wrong time of year for cicada killers. They are also not mudbugs,
(crawdads) the area is way too dry.

Any more guesses?

. ..

Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 PM
animaux

I never ask anything from anyone in this or any newsgroup, but I will now. Can
we all please ignore this Fred. He's a troll.
Old 13-11-2003, 01:12 PM
torresd

Could be the South Texas bolling lizard.

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
Armadillos looking for grub.

-sw

Old 13-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Steve Wertz

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:40:29 GMT, "torresd"
wrote:

Could be the South Texas bolling lizard.

Thems good eatin'

-sw

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Victor Martinez

Chris wrote:
in your yard. Other than that you can use a variety of scents (wolf ****,
coyote urine, etc) to scare them off. Mostly blind, they find their way

They don't hurt anything, why would you want to get rid of them. They
not only eat harmful grubs, they also help aeriate the soil.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
animaux

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 05:39:03 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Chris wrote:
in your yard. Other than that you can use a variety of scents (wolf ****,
coyote urine, etc) to scare them off. Mostly blind, they find their way

They don't hurt anything, why would you want to get rid of them. They
not only eat harmful grubs, they also help aeriate the soil.

I think we have a little guy. He snubs his way around and gently knocks things
over. I've done some things to keep out cats so they don't kill the birds, but
with a backyard wildlife habitat, I welcome the little dinosaurs!

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
I think we have a little guy. He snubs his way around and gently knocks things
over. I've done some things to keep out cats so they don't kill the birds, but
with a backyard wildlife habitat, I welcome the little dinosaurs!

We have at least one armadillo, possums, racoons and lot of other
critters. We don't mind sharing our garden with them, in our view, it
makes it better.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
cat daddy

"Chris" wrote in message
Welcome to the wonderful world of armadillos. Pesky little varmits that

are
quite difficult to get rid of once they descend on your yard. They dig in
search of grub worms so I would suggest checking for and treating for

grubs
in your yard. Other than that you can use a variety of scents (wolf ****,
coyote urine, etc) to scare them off. Mostly blind, they find their way
around by habit and by smell.

You do realize that the wild animal urine and scent business is a
horribly inhumane operation for the animals involved?

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:41:26 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I think we have a little guy. He snubs his way around and gently knocks things
over. I've done some things to keep out cats so they don't kill the birds, but
with a backyard wildlife habitat, I welcome the little dinosaurs!

What have you done to keep out cats? My neighbor's cats run loose and
I can't bring myself to call animal control.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Holes in the yard Karen[_3_] Gardening 18 25-09-2009 04:01 PM
Holes in yard Ralph Mowery Lawns 10 07-08-2006 02:22 AM
Holes in yard T. L. Pope-Green Lawns 8 21-04-2006 03:36 PM
Going hard-co digging up yard for more! JimS. Roses 0 16-01-2004 07:02 AM
Help sink holes filling my yard GeorgeR Gardening 7 26-03-2003 06:56 PM