Old 18-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Thomas J. Girsch

Default Building a vegetable garden

Hi all.

I'm building a vegetable garden with raised wooden planters.
Unfortunately, cedar and redwood weren't available, and of course treated
wood is Bad Very Bad, so I've got untreated pine. I'm wondering what I can
do that will protect the pine from rot, without leaching into the soil and
hurting the food.

Thanks!

Old 18-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Susan G

Try lining the wood (on the soil side, of course) with thick black plastic.
You should be able to staple-gun it in place.

Old 20-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Jim Marrs

All Lowe's and Home depot have a variety of cedar lumber. Use 2X 6 Cedar for
your raised beds. Your pine will be gone in a season or two.

Old 23-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Thomas J. Girsch

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the lumber selection at my Home Depot is
sparse, and the only cedar I was able to find was the fencing stuff (1x6?)

Old 23-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Red

There is a cedar only outlet in the Buda area right along I35 on the west
side of the road, don't remember the name but they have all sizes. Malcom
Beck of Gardenville fame is working on an item designed for raised beds made
of recycled materials which will be about the same size and shape as the
landscape timbers, I don't think it is on the market just yet but you might
check with them, 201 651 6115 in San Antonio.