Old 25-03-2004, 02:19 PM
escapee

Default First Hummingbird

I saw a rufous female, yesterday.
Old 25-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
escapee wrote:

I saw a rufous female, yesterday.

Yes, they're definitely here. I'm north of you (assuming you're
in or near Austin) and saw two males fighting over my feeder
on the 21st -- four days ago!

Put those feeders out!

This might interest you:
http://www.hummingbirds.com/maps.html
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
Old 25-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Steve Wertz

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:09:48 GMT, Suzie-Q
wrote:

Yes, they're definitely here. I'm north of you (assuming you're
in or near Austin) and saw two males fighting over my feeder
on the 21st -- four days ago!

How do you tell a male from female (especially when in flight)?

-sw

Old 26-03-2004, 12:44 AM
escapee

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:30:49 -0600, Steve Wertz
opined:

wrote:

Yes, they're definitely here. I'm north of you (assuming you're
in or near Austin) and saw two males fighting over my feeder
on the 21st -- four days ago!

How do you tell a male from female (especially when in flight)?

-sw

The females have very little, if any color. The males have bright throat
gorgets.

Old 26-03-2004, 06:22 AM
Suzie-Q

wrote:

Yes, they're definitely here. I'm north of you (assuming you're
in or near Austin) and saw two males fighting over my feeder
on the 21st -- four days ago!

How do you tell a male from female (especially when in flight)?

-sw

The females have very little, if any color. The males have bright throat
gorgets.

That's basically true, but when the newborns fledge, the young
males look like the females. Adult males have the red throat,
which looks black when the sun isn't shining on it.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617

Old 27-03-2004, 04:11 AM
escapee

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:19:40 GMT, Suzie-Q opined:

That's basically true, but when the newborns fledge, the young
males look like the females. Adult males have the red throat,
which looks black when the sun isn't shining on it.

Yes, but I doubt we are seeing fledgling now.

First baby hummingbird hatched today Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 1 28-03-2010 02:37 AM
Hummingbird: - hummingbird-zinnia-6.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 08-01-2009 05:28 PM
First bloom of first orchid davegb Orchids 14 29-01-2005 08:07 PM
First Hummingbird escapee Texas 0 25-03-2004 02:19 PM
my first pond and other first pond Scott Vande Krol Ponds 7 29-06-2003 07:08 PM