GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   string trimmer recommendations? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/85573-string-trimmer-recommendations.html)

Doug Lassiter 27-10-2004 12:29 AM

string trimmer recommendations?

I need a new gas string trimmer for home landscaping. The Ryobi 31cc I
got about four years ago is a piece of junk. Would never go that route
again. Hard to start, poor string feed, etc. (And I get along well
with other 1-cycle engines ...) Looking for something reasonably
inexpensive, but durable, functional, reliable etc. Something good out
there?

jOhN 27-10-2004 01:11 AM

Doug Lassiter wrote:
I need a new gas string trimmer for home landscaping. The Ryobi 31cc I
got about four years ago is a piece of junk. Would never go that route
again. Hard to start, poor string feed, etc. (And I get along well
with other 1-cycle engines ...) Looking for something reasonably
inexpensive, but durable, functional, reliable etc. Something good out
there?

I have a Ryobi 775r that has worked well for 3 years. I had a Ryan/IDC
model before that (10 years of trimming fury). The 775r is a straight
shaft and the shaft rotates 360 degrees with detents every 90 degrees. I
think it was well rated in Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, these days
one manufacturer can turn out a diverse range of quality on its products
so i have turned model specific in hunting down stuff to buy.

Check out epinions.com to see if there are any winners.

Gary Brady 27-10-2004 01:15 AM

I have a Homelite that I have owned for about 8 years. It's been pretty
reliable and the string seems to feed well. I did have to replace the fuel
line once, about 1.5" of hose for $2.79. Homelite scorches you on repair
parts. I also have a Homelite electric chain saw, and the parts are
outrageous for it as well.

This trimmer was a gift, but I think they cost around 80 bucks.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

om...

Katra 27-10-2004 01:28 AM

In article ,
(Doug Lassiter) wrote:

I need a new gas string trimmer for home landscaping. The Ryobi 31cc I
got about four years ago is a piece of junk. Would never go that route
again. Hard to start, poor string feed, etc. (And I get along well
with other 1-cycle engines ...) Looking for something reasonably
inexpensive, but durable, functional, reliable etc. Something good out
there?

Well...... I don't have a LOT of experience, but I like the trimmer that
has the blade adapter. They work better than strings.

Can't recall the brand name at the moment, and it's out in the shed, and
it's raining.....

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply
arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather

RM 27-10-2004 01:33 AM

Call around to the home depots in the austin area and ask the gardening
people if they have any straight shaft echo weed eaters that have been
returned. I purchased the echo 2100 trimmer 3 years ago and it still starts
on first pull. People buy them and use them for a few days then return
them. Home depot marks them down usually $75.00 and sells them for $125.00.
Its a $200.00 trimmer new and well worth the 200, but home depot gives you a
2 year warranty from the date of purchase on the returned ones.

Don

Rusty Mase 27-10-2004 03:11 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:33:04 GMT, "RM"
wrote:
(snipped)
I purchased the echo 2100 trimmer 3 years ago and it still starts
on first pull.

I bought an Echo SRM200DA in 1978 and it has only been to a shop once
to upgrade some of the electronics. Although I paid dearly for it -
maybe $275 at that time - it is likely the best lawn tool investment I
ever made.

If you are interested in patents, the string trimmer is a very
interesting topic with a few urban legends floating around. The
string trimmer began evolving from steel bladed edgers about 75 years
ago. But it took development of small two-cycle engines to power them
and polymer plastics for the strings to really make this a usable yard
tool.

I have often wondered if Echo did not itself evolve out of a company
that made two-cycle motors for model airplanes.

Rusty Mase

Doug Lassiter 29-10-2004 06:35 AM

Many thanks. That's all great advice. BTW, a blade option does sound
attractive. I think I used one long ago, and recalled being impressed.
It's not exactly string trimming season, but let's just say that I've
had a disfunctional one since the last such time, and I'm quite
overgrown right now! Maybe that's why a blade sounds so good ...

[email protected] 17-06-2013 03:02 PM

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 9:29:13 AM UTC+10, Doug Lassiter wrote:
I need a new gas string trimmer for home landscaping. The Ryobi 31cc I
got about four years ago is a piece of junk. Would never go that route
again. Hard to start, poor string feed, etc. (And I get along well
with other 1-cycle engines ...) Looking for something reasonably
inexpensive, but durable, functional, reliable etc. Something good out
there?

I have used Victa gas string trimmer for a while. It is very good and powerful, but it still have some problem to get start, need a few pull and push. Then I find a cordless string trimmer from my neighbour. I think it is very handy and easy to use. The battery can run for about 1 hour before recharge and string can be changed automatically. Now I would like to use cordless string trimmer rather than the heavy and noisy gas trimmer. The cordless string trimmer I use is Black & Decker. There are a few modes can be choose on http://blackanddeckercordlesstrimmer.com