Old 24-08-2005, 03:46 PM
jw 1111

"Geoff" wrote in message

"jw 111" wrote in message
Is there really any reason why builders sand should not be used rather
than
the more expensive horticultural sand, in making up a soil mixture for
pots?

Go to B & Q and buy some of their sharp sand. Do not used anything except
sharp sand and it might be a good idea to wash it with plenty of water
before use. If you're an amateur laying bricks it's best not to use
sharp sand - I tried it, but only once! You could also add a little
builders grit (likewise washed of course) to your mixture if there's a
lack of small stones in the other constituents.

Geoff

many thanks to all . i notice that our local b&q sand says its already
washed. still wants more washing would you say? out of interest would you
explain to a novice why there should be small stones included?