Old 10-03-2003, 07:20 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

Default Too late to prune cherry tree?

We have a cherry tree, or 'stick' as I like to call it which is
budding at the moment but not blossoming yet. Is it too late to prune
it this year to try and get it to grow into a tree and develop more
branches? It's also in a lousy position, and has a rose bush growing
within about 10 inches of the base, I believe this will severly stunt
it's growth and fruit production, is it worth moving it or will that
kill it off completely?

Thanks in advance.

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 11-03-2003, 12:10 AM
anton

subbykins{Chrd} wrote in message
We have a cherry tree, or 'stick' as I like to call it which is
budding at the moment but not blossoming yet. Is it too late to prune
it this year to try and get it to grow into a tree and develop more
branches?

Too early. Prune stone fruit with the leaves on.

--
Anton

Old 11-03-2003, 01:12 AM
Paul Kelly

"subbykins{Chrd}" wrote in message
We have a cherry tree, or 'stick' as I like to call it which is
budding at the moment but not blossoming yet. Is it too late to prune
it this year to try and get it to grow into a tree and develop more
branches?

Too early!

All prunus are susceptible to silver Leaf disease a fungal disease which
enters through wounds and requires complete amputation of affected branches.

Hence must be pruned when sap is flowing freely to sweep infection from the
wound site, for the same reason often recommended not to treat prunus
pruning cuts with wound paint.

Early may is best time in S.England.

pk