Old 28-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Capt T

Default Russian Vine

Kind neighbour planted this against my fence and then had the cheek to pin
it to the wood for support. I have just removed it and dug up what I can of
the base (! year old) but of course the roots are thumb thick and go
straight down.As impossible to dig out I have cut them off about a foot down
and poured glycosphate into the hole to cover the cut end hoping that will
do something.Will that suffice or is there more I can do? If it sprouts
growth again will round up do anything?

Old 28-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Mike Lyle

Capt T wrote:
Kind neighbour planted this against my fence and then had the cheek
to pin it to the wood for support. I have just removed it and dug

up
what I can of the base (! year old) but of course the roots are

thumb
thick and go straight down.As impossible to dig out I have cut them
off about a foot down and poured glycosphate into the hole to cover
the cut end hoping that will do something.Will that suffice or is
there more I can do? If it sprouts growth again will round up do
anything?

I hope it's on your side of the fence! Yes, Roundup on green leaves
will kill it off if it shoots up again, though you may need a second
application. My understanding of glyphosate is that it has no effect
at all on roots; but I don't know if that's true when it's applied to
cut surfaces.

--
Mike.

Old 28-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Paul Kirby

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Capt T wrote:
[...]

I can't help but I am having the same problem with a Russian Vine I
foolishley planted and it is taking over our Bramley Apple tree. I would
like to thank you for the advice about using Roundup.

Paul.

Old 28-07-2005, 10:33 PM
nambucca

"Paul Kirby" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Capt T wrote:
[...]

I am told that you need Ammonium Sulphamate (Root out ) to really kill the

roots of Russian Vine

Old 29-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Hazel

Capt T wrote:
[...]

I agree, Root Out, it kills anything in the ground and is also used on green
leaves, then turns into fertilser after 8 wks, or so the packet say's

Hazel

Japanese Knotweed x Russian Vine Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 5 16-10-2008 11:11 AM
Russian vine Renee United Kingdom 36 09-04-2007 03:00 AM
Russian Vine - can it be killed off? ADH United Kingdom 3 10-06-2006 03:07 AM
Growth habit of Clematis armandii (was Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)) Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 10-04-2003 01:20 AM
Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum) iamhere United Kingdom 15 09-04-2003 07:56 PM