Old 11-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Katharine Mill

Default drooping crocii - help

Should I have planted my bulbs deeper? A number of my crocus plants
have assumed a horizontal position now they're in flower. Since I have
a tiny, walled city garden I can't see high winds being to blame...

Is this normal or can anyone suggest a reason and/or remedy?

Thanks
Katharine
Old 14-03-2003, 11:32 AM
N. van Burgsteden

I have that problem too. It seems that the flowers are too heavy for the
stems to keep standing up. I used a couple of small bamboo sticks and some
wire to keep them upright.

marco

"Katharine Mill" schreef in bericht
om...

Old 14-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Chris Stewart

"N. van Burgsteden" wrote in message
I have that problem too. It seems that the flowers are too heavy for the
stems to keep standing up. I used a couple of small bamboo sticks and some
wire to keep them upright.

marco

"Katharine Mill" schreef in bericht
om...
Should I have planted my bulbs deeper? A number of my crocus plants
have assumed a horizontal position now they're in flower. Since I have
a tiny, walled city garden I can't see high winds being to blame...

Is this normal or can anyone suggest a reason and/or remedy?

Thanks
Katharine

Could you have been too kind to them - is the ground too fertile - promoting
growth but not strength?
Chris

Old 14-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Martin Sykes

"Chris Stewart" wrote in message
Could you have been too kind to them - is the ground too fertile -

promoting
growth but not strength?
Chris

I've got the same problem. It could be the soil fertility ( I'm in my second
year of a garden on developed farmland ). My soil is sandy (probably
impoerted by the builders ) for about a foot over clay. My cosmos which were
supposed to be 3ft got to almost 7ft last year so it could be too fertile
(if that's possible).

I think its more likely that the rain is too much for them though ( I'm near
Manchester). The daffs and snowdrops are holding their heads up high. Just
the crocus' having a problem so maybe because they face upwards they're
filling with rain and flopping. It seems to be mostly a problem where
they've been planted last autumn. The ones from the year before have clumped
up a bit and seem to be supporting each other.

Martin

Old 15-03-2003, 12:01 AM
fmurl

"Martin Sykes" wrote:

I've got the same problem. It could be the soil fertility ( I'm in my second
year of a garden on developed farmland ). My soil is sandy (probably
impoerted by the builders ) for about a foot over clay. My cosmos which were
supposed to be 3ft got to almost 7ft last year so it could be too fertile
(if that's possible).

I had exactly the same problem last year. Broken Cosmos all over the place
as soon as the winds came. The bottom branches resting on the ground were
over three feet long!

I think its more likely that the rain is too much for them though ( I'm near
Manchester). The daffs and snowdrops are holding their heads up high. Just
the crocus' having a problem so maybe because they face upwards they're
filling with rain and flopping. It seems to be mostly a problem where
they've been planted last autumn. The ones from the year before have clumped
up a bit and seem to be supporting each other.

I came to the same conclusion about my Crocus. They were okay until they
reached full bloom, and then the rains came. Hopefully with the fair
weather we are due over the next few days things will pick up.

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.

Old 15-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:07:57 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrotc:

It seems to be mostly a problem where
they've been planted last autumn. The ones from the year before have clumped
up a bit and seem to be supporting each other.

Dense clumps are, I think, the best conditions to discourage knock
down. In a mature clump of a few years standing all the goblets will
be jostling each other upright despite the rain - unless it lashes
down.

Hussein
Grow a little garden
Old 15-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 11 Mar 2003 06:51:25 -0800, Katharine Mill wrote:

Should I have planted my bulbs deeper? A number of my crocus plants
have assumed a horizontal position now they're in flower. Since I have
a tiny, walled city garden I can't see high winds being to blame...

Is this normal or can anyone suggest a reason and/or remedy?

They may be a little drawn from insufficient sun, with
longer-than-normal stems as a result. QED

Also, some crocuses just do that. C. speciosus (an autumn
bloomer) is notorious for not doing well in rough weather.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

lavatera arborea in a container - drooping, drooping drooping [email protected] Gardening 2 04-07-2006 08:00 PM
Drooping Arborvitae's bd Gardening 1 02-05-2003 06:08 AM
Daffodils drooping Mceezee Gardening 2 02-04-2003 02:32 AM
Drooping Helleborus Fredgibson United Kingdom 1 22-02-2003 12:19 AM
Drooping Helleborus Jack United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 03:59 AM