Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
TheScullster

Default Will Birds Nest with Squirrels around?

We have one or two red squirrels around.
Will they put off the birds?
Is there any point in fixing a bird box in a tree which is accessible to
both squirrels and local cats?
Come to think of it I haven't seen cats actually in the tree so maybe
they're not an issue.
How high should a bird box be mounted?

TIA

Phil

Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:
| We have one or two red squirrels around.
| Will they put off the birds?

No.

| Is there any point in fixing a bird box in a tree which is accessible to
| both squirrels and local cats?

No.

| Come to think of it I haven't seen cats actually in the tree so maybe
| they're not an issue.
| How high should a bird box be mounted?

Out of the range of cats.

As I understand it, grey squirrels do take eggs but are not a major
problem in that respect, and red squirrels rarely take eggs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , TheScullster
writes
We have one or two red squirrels around.

Lucky, lucky, you )

Will they put off the birds?

I don't think so.
It is the grey squirrels that rob nests.

How high should a bird box be mounted?

High enough so that the local feline population can't get to it!!
6-12 feet up but away from any overhanging 'access' branch should do it.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Dave P

"TheScullster" wrote in message
We have one or two red squirrels around.
Will they put off the birds?
Is there any point in fixing a bird box in a tree which is accessible to
both squirrels and local cats?
Come to think of it I haven't seen cats actually in the tree so maybe
they're not an issue.
How high should a bird box be mounted?

TIA

Phil

We've had no conflicts between our reds and nesting birds.

Dave

Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Rod

"TheScullster" wrote in message ...
We have one or two red squirrels around.
Will they put off the birds?
Is there any point in fixing a bird box in a tree which is accessible to
both squirrels and local cats?

We have feral cats, Magpies, Jays, Jackdaws, grey squirrels, sparrow hawks plus a healthy population of garden and
woodland birds. What we also have- which is lacking in many places is plenty of good nesting cover. What we don't have
is much in the way of farmland birds(or other wildlife including plants) - I've watched that dwindling at an increasing
rate over the 27 years we've been here. Human activity - not predation is responsible for almost all of the above.

Rod

Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
TheScullster

What's a feral cat? Is this a typo?

Phil

Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

| What's a feral cat? Is this a typo?

No, it's a pest :-)

A feral animal is a domestic animal that has gone back to the wild.
In the UK, there are far too many feral cats.

Old 15-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Peter Coddington

"TheScullster" wrote in message
What's a feral cat? Is this a typo?

Phil

The heading 'Will Birds Nest with Squirels around ?' Threads then go
off the track ?
The answer is 'Yes' For a couple of years in the vicinity of my garden
there are at least two squirrels. Every year Sparrow's build nests
in the hawthorn borders, if the Magpies do not raid the nests the eggs
are hatched and we have an abundance of young birds.
However last year a Magpie built a nest high up in a tree and a
Squirrel ejected the bird and took up residence as sleeping quarters.
It would seem that Squirrels do not like eggs !
Peter.

Old 17-03-2003, 09:32 AM
TheScullster

Thanks for that, Peter.
We do seem to have a few magpies in the area, so I'll watch out for
squatters.

Phil