Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default does anyone know about Cornus hongkongensis?

Wondering if anyone is growing or has any knowledge of this pretty Cornus?
Rumour has it it will even grow in sodden clay! Which describes quite
well the spot I have it in. I got it from a nursery last year where it
had frozen quite badly and lost all it's leaves, there was some dieback
but it did manage to put out some decent leaf in June and is still
holding, looking quite pretty right now. Mine is very small but I'm
hoping if I can establish it, it will take a bit of cold. Apparently
this species is less hardy than C. angustata.

Thanks,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
Wondering if anyone is growing or has any knowledge of this pretty Cornus?
Rumour has it it will even grow in sodden clay! Which describes quite
well the spot I have it in. I got it from a nursery last year where it
had frozen quite badly and lost all it's leaves, there was some dieback
but it did manage to put out some decent leaf in June and is still
holding, looking quite pretty right now. Mine is very small but I'm
hoping if I can establish it, it will take a bit of cold. Apparently
this species is less hardy than C. angustata.
Crug sell them, grown from seeds they collected 7 years ago. Perhaps they can give some advice. They recommend well drained, though the PFAF data sheet suggests clay may be OK. I'd suspect in general with marginally hardy evergreens that well-drained is a better idea, because it is often stem rot that gets them, at least that's been my experience with killing marginally hardy evergreens. Though actually my soil is fairly well drained, it was sharply drained, at least for the upper layers, that I needed to reduce the risk of killing them.
Old 13-02-2013, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:54:40 +0000, echinosum wrote:

'Emery Davis[_3_ Wrote:
;977977']Wondering if anyone is growing or has any knowledge of this
pretty Cornus?

[]
this species is less hardy than C. angustata.

Crug sell them, grown from seeds they collected 7 years ago. Perhaps
they can give some advice. They recommend well drained, though the PFAF
data sheet suggests clay may be OK. I'd suspect in general with
marginally hardy evergreens that well-drained is a better idea, because
it is often stem rot that gets them, at least that's been my experience
with killing marginally hardy evergreens. Though actually my soil is
fairly well drained, it was sharply drained, at least for the upper
layers, that I needed to reduce the risk of killing them.

Yes, I have the same experience re stem rot, or low pseudomonas
infections. No doubt sharp drainage is always going to be better.
Actually I do mound planting, and last I looked it was keeping above the
watery mess for the time being (didn't pull it to look at the bottom of
the roots, of course!) When I poked around I must have come across the
PFAF article.

Was really wondering what parts of the country, if any, people are
growing it, but it appears not to be a very common plant.

Cheers, -E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 14-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
OnWas really wondering what parts of the country, if any, people are
growing it, but it appears not to be a very common plant.
I see that Panglobal Plants also sell it, indeed in 2 forms. They note that it does very well at the Hillier Gardens at Romsey in Hampshire.

Also I noted on their blog that in Nick's recent visit to Manipur he spotted a similar but different Cornus, previously wrongly identified as C capitata, growing there, but he doesn't seem to be growing it, at least not yet.., No Whiteys since Kingdon-Ward – Planthunting in darkest Manipur | Pan-global Plants