GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Removing Ivy "Residue" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108119-removing-ivy-residue.html)

shazzbat 17-10-2005 01:20 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a painted
brick wall by ivy?

Yes

Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

That's it.

Steve

TheScullster 17-10-2005 01:24 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a painted
brick wall by ivy?
I cut down a fair amount of the stuff yesterday and it leaves marks like
leaf skeletons where the tendrils have been stuck.
Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

TIA
Phil

Chris S 17-10-2005 01:51 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a painted
brick wall by ivy?
I cut down a fair amount of the stuff yesterday and it leaves marks like
leaf skeletons where the tendrils have been stuck.
Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

TIA
Phil

Time is also a "good thing" in removing the marks - either that or I've got
used to them. :-)

Chris S

Janet Baraclough 17-10-2005 03:00 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a painted
brick wall by ivy?

Yes

Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

That's it.

Use a wire brush (by hand) , but it's very hard to get rid of every
bit, especially on old stone. Some of them will show through unless you
use a textured paint.

Janet

Mike Lyle 17-10-2005 07:49 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

Chris S wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote in message
Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a
painted brick wall by ivy?
I cut down a fair amount of the stuff yesterday and it leaves

marks
like leaf skeletons where the tendrils have been stuck.
Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

TIA
Phil

Time is also a "good thing" in removing the marks - either that or
I've got used to them. :-)

I am urg's resident sadder but wiser man when it comes to ivy (my
mother warned me, but would I listen? That's kids for you.). I'd say
leave the bits for a couple of years to rot a bit, and then go at
them with a paint-scraper. Tedious in the extreme, I know, but a
bally sight less tedious than the near-impossibility of getting them
off once you've weakened and splashed a coat of paint on top of
them -- when I did the latter, I had to sell the house to get rid of
them.

--
Mike.

Phil L 17-10-2005 09:37 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

TheScullster wrote:
:: Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a
:: painted brick wall by ivy?
:: I cut down a fair amount of the stuff yesterday and it leaves marks like
:: leaf skeletons where the tendrils have been stuck.
:: Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

If you paint over them[1] it will look hideous (even more hideous than it
does now)...leave them for a few years to become brittle and dried and then
you can remove them with much work and pain by using scrapers, wire brushes
and a jet wash, failing that get a different wall covering plant, one that
isn't as invasive as ivy.

[1]
Paint will merely preserve them where they are.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

adm 18-10-2005 12:33 AM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a
painted
brick wall by ivy?

Yes

Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

That's it.

Use a wire brush (by hand) , but it's very hard to get rid of every
bit, especially on old stone. Some of them will show through unless you
use a textured paint.

Is there anything wrong with just using a decent pressure washer ?

Phil L 18-10-2005 01:36 AM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

adm wrote:
:: "Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
:: ...
::: The message
::: from "shazzbat" contains these words:
:::
:::
:::: "TheScullster" wrote in message
:::: ...
::::: Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a
::::: painted
::::: brick wall by ivy?
:::
:::: Yes
:::
::::: Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.
:::::
:::: That's it.
:::
::: Use a wire brush (by hand) , but it's very hard to get rid of every
::: bit, especially on old stone. Some of them will show through unless you
::: use a textured paint.
::
:: Is there anything wrong with just using a decent pressure washer ?

Nothing at all, except they won't remove ivy tendrils no matter how high the
pressure, ivy 'welds' itself to the face of the brick, leaving thousands of
tiny hairlike tendrils attached after you've pulled it all down, IME nothing
apart from time will remove these, even then it will still take some hard
work if it's in a bad way

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Cicero 18-10-2005 10:46 AM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
adm wrote:
[...]

=====================
If a pressure washer won't do the job then a needle scaler probably will.
Look at: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000310084

It would be advisable to do test to see how it goes because needle scalers
are harsh enough to remove paint and rust scale.

Cic.

Spider 18-10-2005 01:16 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

adm wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a
painted
brick wall by ivy?

Yes

Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

That's it.

Use a wire brush (by hand) , but it's very hard to get rid of every
bit, especially on old stone. Some of them will show through unless you
use a textured paint.

Is there anything wrong with just using a decent pressure washer ?

Yes - It's a waste of water, especially since we're warned to expect a
droughty winter.
Further, it may damage the brick surface, or the mortar, in a less than
strong wall.

Spider

Phil L 18-10-2005 09:43 PM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

Cicero wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: .uk...
::: adm wrote:
::::: "Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
::::: ...
:::::: The message
:::::: from "shazzbat" contains these words:
::::::
::::::
::::::: "TheScullster" wrote in message
::::::: ...
:::::::: Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a
:::::::: painted
:::::::: brick wall by ivy?
::::::
::::::: Yes
::::::
:::::::: Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.
::::::::
::::::: That's it.
::::::
:: =====================
:: If a pressure washer won't do the job then a needle scaler probably will.
:: Look at: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000310084
::
:: It would be advisable to do test to see how it goes because needle
:: scalers are harsh enough to remove paint and rust scale.

Nope, a needle gun won't work neither! - believe me I've tried, needle guns
are primarilly for removing rust and paint, IE scales and flakes, ivy
tendrils are like tiny roots coming out of the wall, if you look along the
wall it looks similar to the surface of a scrubbing brush.....it may sound
drastic but the only thing I can think of that *may* provide a 'quick
solution' would be a blowtorch and a wire brush.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Brian 19-10-2005 12:19 AM

Removing Ivy "Residue"

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Is there an effective way to remove the strange patterns left on a painted
brick wall by ivy?
I cut down a fair amount of the stuff yesterday and it leaves marks like
leaf skeletons where the tendrils have been stuck.
Intend to clean and repaint the wall in due course.

TIA
Phil

Soak it for a week with wallpaper paste made up with washing up
liquid~~ diluted. Then use a wire brush.
Remove future ivy some weeks after killing~ it but well before it
dries.
Best Wishes Brian.

Danny Davies 02-05-2012 05:52 PM

I used vinegar on the tread left by the Ivy, after about 48 hours it came off with a sponge scourer. I also used warm water also.