Old 16-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Chris

Default Winter Density lettuce seeds not germinating at all

I got some Johnson's Winter Density lettuce seeds - and no matter what I
do they won't germinate. I've never ever had any other lettuce seeds
that were problematic in any way at all - and I'm really puzzled.

I've tried them in the garden - and in seed trays with the best John
Innes seed compost.

What on earth might be wrong?
--
Chris
Old 16-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Harold Walker

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I got some Johnson's Winter Density lettuce seeds - and no matter what I do
they won't germinate. I've never ever had any other lettuce seeds that
were problematic in any way at all - and I'm really puzzled.

I've tried them in the garden - and in seed trays with the best John Innes
seed compost.

What on earth might be wrong?
--
Chris

Could be that the seeds are NG...H

Old 16-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Kay

In article , Harold Walker
writes

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I got some Johnson's Winter Density lettuce seeds - and no matter what I do
they won't germinate. I've never ever had any other lettuce seeds that
were problematic in any way at all - and I'm really puzzled.

I've tried them in the garden - and in seed trays with the best John Innes
seed compost.

What on earth might be wrong?
--
Chris

Could be that the seeds are NG...H

Could be wrong temperature.

--
Kay

Old 17-10-2005, 03:40 PM
La puce

Kay wrote:

What on earth might be wrong?

Could be that the seeds are NG...H

Could be wrong temperature.

That's very strange indeed. Have you tried to soak them before hand?
Do you still have the packet to check the date of the seeds?

Old 17-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Chris

What on earth might be wrong?

Could be that the seeds are NG...H

Could be wrong temperature.

That's very strange indeed. Have you tried to soak them before hand?
Do you still have the packet to check the date of the seeds?

Date is OK. Haven't tried soaking - and would welcome more detail on
that.
Could be a temperature problem in that these seeds are designed for the
colder months.
--
Chris

Old 17-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Leslie

Try putting a few of the seeds onto a wet kitchen roll and cover with a
polythene bag and keep in the kitchen and they should germinate in a couple
of days.

.......................Leslie

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
What on earth might be wrong?

Could be that the seeds are NG...H

Could be wrong temperature.

That's very strange indeed. Have you tried to soak them before hand?
Do you still have the packet to check the date of the seeds?

Date is OK. Haven't tried soaking - and would welcome more detail on

Old 17-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Kay

In article .com, La
puce writes

Kay wrote:

What on earth might be wrong?
Could be that the seeds are NG...H

Could be wrong temperature.

That's very strange indeed. Have you tried to soak them before hand?
Do you still have the packet to check the date of the seeds?

Your way of keeping in only the last attribution confuses me. I wrote
the third line of the above. I did not write either the first or the
second lines. Could you please consider keeping in the attributions for
the previous responses? Either that, or reply to the post that your
reply is relevant to, rather than replying to one several replies down
the line.
--
Kay

Old 17-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Chris

What on earth might be wrong?

Could be that the seeds are NG...H

Could be wrong temperature.

That's very strange indeed. Have you tried to soak them before hand?
Do you still have the packet to check the date of the seeds?

Date is OK. Haven't tried soaking - and would welcome more detail on
that.
Could be a temperature problem in that these seeds are designed for the
colder months.

Try putting a few of the seeds onto a wet kitchen roll and cover with a
polythene bag and keep in the kitchen and they should germinate in a couple
of days.

OK - thanks. Just done that - five minutes ago.
They're on the kitchen windowsill now.
We'll see what happens!
--
Chris
Old 18-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article .com, La
puce writes

Kay wrote:

What on earth might be wrong?
Could be that the seeds are NG...H
Could be wrong temperature.

That's very strange indeed. Have you tried to soak them before hand?
Do you still have the packet to check the date of the seeds?

Your way of keeping in only the last attribution confuses me. I wrote
the third line of the above. I did not write either the first or the
second lines. Could you please consider keeping in the attributions for
the previous responses? Either that, or reply to the post that your
reply is relevant to, rather than replying to one several replies down
the line.

LOL. I've just had the same problem from Puce in the "Are slugs and
snails eating phormium?" thread. Probably trolling, going by her
irrational responses there.

Janet
Old 18-10-2005, 11:16 AM
La puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
LOL. I've just had the same problem from Puce in the "Are slugs and
snails eating phormium?" thread. Probably trolling, going by her
irrational responses there.

Why are you so rude with me? My suggestion to soak the seeds has been
picked up by someone else and indeed it is a suggestion, whereas you
haven't contributed anything but just spat at me again. Who do you
think you are?! And it's La Puce to you.

I suggest you stop this immediately. I am not a troll. I am currently
doing my second year RHS module 2 - I am passionate with what I do,
always was and always will. It is a great forum for lurkin and
learning, sharing and chatting. But you are strongly advised to stop
being such a prat Janet.

I am trying to understand what is happening with my posts. I was on
Turnpike, now I am on outlook and thought of using google beta in
forums. I have had no problem with any other groups.

I apologise for the confusion.

Old 18-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
LOL. I've just had the same problem from Puce in the "Are slugs and
snails eating phormium?" thread. Probably trolling, going by her
irrational responses there.

Why are you so rude with me?

Because of the rude way you behave.

I am not a troll. I am currently
doing my second year RHS module 2 - I am passionate with what I do,
always was and always will.

Nobody gives a stuff. Your knowledge and enthusiasm will be judged on
the evidence presented here. So far, it's not impressive.

It is a great forum for lurkin and
learning, sharing and chatting. But you are strongly advised to stop
being such a prat Janet.

Unfortunately, your opinions and advice don't have much standing, as
you have already shown them to be based on your own ignorant
misconceptions, sloppy reading. and persistent misreporting .

I am trying to understand what is happening with my posts. I was on
Turnpike, now I am on outlook and thought of using google beta in
forums. I have had no problem with any other groups.

I apologise for the confusion.

What a pity you didn't say that when it was first pointed out,
perfectly politely, by myself. Instead you responded with a tirade of
denials and unfounded lies about other posts of mine, which you have
still refused to withdraw.

Janet.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:49 PM
La puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Nobody gives a stuff.

You speak for everyone here? This is a public forum. Isn't it?

Your knowledge and enthusiasm will be judged on
the evidence presented here. So far, it's not impressive.

All this started because of the phormium thread. I explain I was
thinking of the use of my copper rings and I was communicating with
Lynda. What's wrong with you. Are you some kinda bully?!

As for impressing you, that's the last thing on my mind! How can I give
evidence of your rude posts in return when they have been removed after
3 days? The link is no longer available, see below, but we can read the
gist of it. You can see how rude you were to me regarding the compost
myth thread. You thought I had written 'I make fairly rubbish compost
at the moment' when in fact it was gentlegreen and you reported me as
'another post, same author' and added 'looks like you might be one of
them'. Later on you carried on with the possibility I was a troll
regarding my advice about soaking seeds which somebody elses came up
with and to which you didn't commented on.

Give it a rest. Don't you have a cauldron to attend to?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
and from another post, same author
I actually make fairly rubbish compost at the moment

Old 19-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Chris

In article .com, La
puce writes
I am trying to understand what is happening with my posts. I was on
Turnpike, now I am on outlook

Why not stick with Turnpike?
I've tried many mail clients and never found anything as good.
--
Chris
Old 19-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Chris

In article .com, La
puce writes
My suggestion to soak the seeds has been picked up by someone else

It was picked up by me, the OP (Original Poster).
The seeds are still on the windowsill.
No germination yet - but they haven't had long.
--
Chris
Old 19-10-2005, 03:08 PM
La puce

Chris wrote:
Why not stick with Turnpike?
I've tried many mail clients and never found anything as good.

It was the decision of all my colleagues as well. Something to do with
our new server, sharing docs/diaries, network compatibility etc. I miss
turnpike tho (