Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
will

Default Pear trees: how far apart for pollination?

We bought two pear trees recently, a Conference and a Williams Bon
Chretien. Our garden is quite big and we were planning to plant them
probably around 100 feet or more apart. Will this pose any problems
for cross pollinaiton? Should they be closer together?

Thanks, Will
Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Dwayne

Good morning Will. If they were mine I would put them closer together. I
have seen them planted farther apart, or alone and no idea where the other
one was and they still did what was expected of them. Some dont need a
second tree to bear fruit, but will bear more if there is a second one.

My brother has a tree that has 5 kinds grafted on the same tree, and it
sometimes will produce 0 to 5 pears, but they never get big enough to pick.
I think you will be OK staying with your plans to put them 100 ft apart.

Have fun. Dwayne

om...

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
anton

will wrote in message . ..
We bought two pear trees recently, a Conference and a Williams Bon
Chretien. Our garden is quite big and we were planning to plant them
probably around 100 feet or more apart. Will this pose any problems
for cross pollinaiton? Should they be closer together?

It depends on whether the bees find their way between them.
100 ft isn't far for a bee, but if it's 40ft along a path, turn left,
avoid large shrub, zoom round conifer, buzz over rockery, then
20ft along garage wall, then they might not do their duty.

If they are in plain sight of one another, then probably OK.

--
Anton