Old 25-11-2005, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default It's snowing!!

It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths, hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-11-2005, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,

hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Brilliant sunshine, clear skies and no sign of snow here on the Isle of
Wight :-))

Old 25-11-2005, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,
hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Brilliant sunshine, clear skies and no sign of snow here -Baidon West
Yorkshire

Are you sure it's snow ? Do you folk in Devon know what it looks like?
Perhaps it's volcanic ash fall out

Old 25-11-2005, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,
hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Brilliant sunshine, clear skies and no sign of snow here -Baidon West
Yorkshire

Are you sure it's snow ? Do you folk in Devon know what it looks like?
Perhaps it's volcanic ash fall out

Heavy frost more like.

Old 25-11-2005, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 25/11/05 10:24, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,
hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--

snip

Are you sure it's snow ? Do you folk in Devon know what it looks like?
Perhaps it's volcanic ash fall out

It's called folk memory........ ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-11-2005, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Snowing here too!

On 25/11/05 10:48, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!

I think it's wonderful - not seen anything like this for ages and it
hasn't settled in my neighbourhood for at least 18 years. It is
melting quickly and looks as though it will be gone by the afternoon.
I had a peep out back a short while ago and it really does look
incongruous - great leafy bananas covered in snow. Temperatures have
not yet fallen below 1C so I'm not overly concerned about lasting cold
damage. I understand any wind (which has been minimal here) will ease
and shift from a less arctic direction very shortly and the 10 day
outlook for here is improving temperatures reaching the seasonal norm
over the next few days.

The lady who helps us in the house drove over from Torquay this morning
(Cockington way) and said, in a rather superior way, that the snow is *much*
worse over there. ;-) She knows I love the snow and likes to tease me if
they get more of it than we do!
But it's getting very cold here and Ray reckons it's nearly freezing, with
plenty more snow in the sky. Matt rang to order some more oil for the
nursery, just to be on the safe side, and was told that the oil company has
two tankers stuck on the moor! Even Ray is wearing his "Everybody Loves
Raymond" baseball cap today!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-11-2005, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,

hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!

Brilliant sunshine, clear skies and no sign of snow here on the Isle of
Wight :-))

Flurries of snow in Norfolk, and it *IS* windy.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-11-2005, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

I'd like some of that snow too . We have mixed reports here some
saying it will snow , some saying it won't (reading , berkshire).

I know my kids would love it , my 9 month old boy has never seen the
stuff

by the by does anyone know how hardy oestopernums ( not sure of
spelling) are as mine have wilted heavily with the frost.

Also how hardy are Fatsia japonica's ?

Cheers

Colin

Old 25-11-2005, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 25/11/05 14:06, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

The lady who helps us in the house drove over from Torquay this morning
(Cockington way) and said, in a rather superior way, that the snow is *much*
worse over there. ;-) She knows I love the snow and likes to tease me if
they get more of it than we do!

Well, I don't know what its like down in Cockinton (its a bit of a
frost pocket there) but its fine here - snow on the roofs and a bit
tucked in shady places.

And speaking of frost pockets, that village I used to live in was totally
white with frost the other day, apparently. That's a frost pocket, if you
like!

The sun is out now and it really is quite
pleasant. The 'stat' says 6C which in one way is cold, but for an
arctic blast its quite erm... balmy :| I see they've had it bad on
the moors - but that's what they're there for - to keep the worst
weather away from S. Devon

The A38 seems to be our 'weather barrier' but as I look out of the window,
there are heavy clouds coming from the south west, adding themselves to
those we have over us already. My stepdaughter rang from Plymouth earlier
to say she couldn't see more than two feet out of her office window! We've
had some sun but it's all gone now and the temp is dropping like a stone.
One of the people from Monro's rang us to say he's been stuck on Gossmoor
for more than 3 hours.

Even Ray is wearing his "Everybody Loves Raymond" baseball cap today!

Any excuse - duh I dunno

Yeah, but it's true. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-11-2005, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Dave Poole wrote:

snow

I think it's wonderful

You big kid. Wait till it falls ... horizontally )

Old 25-11-2005, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Gardening_Convert wrote:
Also how hardy are Fatsia japonica's ?

Very. Mine is snowed under every year. I think it's the best time of
the year for them as they look wonderful covered of snow. They might
not think the same tho ... I love ivy in the snow, rosemary, my bench
and my barrow full of the white stuff. Can't wait to go onto the
Rochdale hills this week end if we're as lucky as you.

Old 25-11-2005, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Sacha wrote:
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths, hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!

I thought it was here in Oxford but I think it was paper ash raining
down from a bonfire.

Richard.

--
We trade our health in search of wealth,
We scrimp and toil and save;
Old 25-11-2005, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

quote..by the by does anyone know how hardy oestopernums ( not sure of

spelling) are as mine have wilted heavily with the frost.

Depends on the variety. I had one in Lincolnshire for years, not sure
which as it came as a cutting from my father, took everything the
weather could thow at it including being frozen for days at a time,
best to just leave it and see. Plenty in full flower here at the
moment.

Mike

Old 25-11-2005, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

In far west Cornwall, it hovered around 4C most of last night and
through today, with a strong to gale force NNW wind and passing hail
showers. But at about 4pm the wind dropped sharply, veered easterly
for about half an hour and the temperature plummeted. Then it started
to snow. At 6pm the temperature was a whisker above freezing, the wind
had gone back to the north and snow was lying about half an inch deep,
although it now seems to be melting in places. I see the temperature
has actually risen a degree in the last half hour.

We'd managed to avoid the frosts earlier in the week, but not for much
longer I fear. I hope my fleece 'wigwams' over my proteas do the biz,
having survived the gales of last night!

--
Chris