Escallonia Hedge when do I trim?

Old 20-01-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Escallonia Hedge when do I trim?

I have an Escallonia hedge in my garden, about 12 feet long and 6 feet
high. It grows strongly, and stays green throughout the winter. I live
in South West wales, with a mild maritime climate. I just cannot decide
when it is the best time to trim the hedge as I want to use it as a
fairly formal "divider" in the garden. I cut it back in November, but
this has exponsed a lost of bare branches now, these will re-grow, and
I can already see the new green buds forming. If I trim it earlier I
seem to cut off the stems that produce the scented pink flowers in late
summer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 20-01-2006, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dai16" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an Escallonia hedge in my garden, about 12 feet long and 6 feet
high. It grows strongly, and stays green throughout the winter. I live
in South West wales, with a mild maritime climate. I just cannot decide
when it is the best time to trim the hedge as I want to use it as a
fairly formal "divider" in the garden. I cut it back in November, but
this has exponsed a lost of bare branches now, these will re-grow, and
I can already see the new green buds forming. If I trim it earlier I
seem to cut off the stems that produce the scented pink flowers in late
summer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
Escallonia can make an exceptional formal hedge. We have fifty yards of
it kept tightly clipped but this removes 90% of potential blooms.
A reasonable loose hedge will still make a good divider and flower
well~~~ Will also reduce the clipping needed.
So~~ Loose hedge with masses of flowers [as Sacha mentions] or tight
formal hedge with much fewer blooms.~~ your choice.
Whatever you decide be aware that Escallonia tries to expand its width
as much as possible. Ours was planned to be 3' wide but it insists on
attempting 6'+ !!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 21-01-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Autumn is the best time for cutting back Escallonia, after they have
finished flowering. Escallonia does make an excellent hedge but you
have a choice between formality and flowers. If you chose a formal
hedge, you'll still get flowers but would get more if you only lightly
trim, removing just the flowering growths when they are over.

If you wish to maintain a formal hedge, you should prune fairly hard to
your desired shape in the Autumn after flowering.

Garden Oasis
www.gardenoasis.co.uk

Old 23-01-2006, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all the advice, I seem to be cutting the hedge back at about
the right time of year. The choice is clearly between a formal hedge,
probably achieved with liberal use of the electric shears, or a more
casual effect, which would I suppose be best achieved with pruners, and
cautious use of the (manual) shears.