Old 20-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Ian B

Default Advice please Leylandii hedge / hawthorne part 2

OK I can see the consensus is don't plant a Leylandii hedge!!!
If I keep the Hawthorne (which doesn't look nice for a third of the year...
is there some form of ivy, creeper, evergreen, that I can plant amongst
it????
Any help would be appreciated
ian

I moved home last year and inherited a house with one side (50ft) lined

with
Hawthorne.
Obviously because of the growing seasons this hedge is "See through"

because
its not evergreen. Unfortunately this allows me to see into next door for

third of the year. Plus its not that attractive during this time!
I was thinking of removing it and planting Leylandii .
Leyandii possibly because its quick growing.
Its the only thing I can think of that will replace the hedge quickly.....
Or does anyone here have any better ideas????

Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

An opinion:
OK.....one dissenter......Leylandii cypruss makes a beautiful hedge.....had
a neighbour problem and planted one as a shield .........working
perfectly.....have since sold the property and the new owners are in love
with the 'hedge'.......about 25 odd feet tall and still growing......spoke
to the new owners only a few days ago and they have no intention of stopping
its growth.........they just love its beauty........planted some on my
current location and they too are doing fine........suspect/know I would not
plant if I had a mini postage stamp size lot.

HW.
et...

Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
Ian B wrote:
OK I can see the consensus is don't plant a Leylandii hedge!!!

Indeed. There are just too many problems with it (maintenance,
light blocking, cross neighbours, roots, leaching moisture out of the soil)

If I keep the Hawthorne (which doesn't look nice for a third of the year...
is there some form of ivy, creeper, evergreen, that I can plant amongst
it????

Indeed. I have a variety of ivies that look terrific and will cover up
a garage wall one day. I particularly like Hedera Helix "Goldheart"
and one other, the name of which I can't recall.
See some (for example) on Cormaic's page
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/plants/ivies02.htm

Sharon
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Charlie

Well, I think Ivy is pretty, but then again, I did just pull a whole plant
off a wall because it was pulling the mortar out. It's also spread under an
asphalt driveway and is growing in my lovely prepared tomato and pepper
beds! In my experience, it gets everywhere, and is the second worst thing
in my garden. Sorry, I can't be more helpful, but I'm kinda new at this!

Charlie.

"Ian B" wrote in message
et...
[...]

---

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
bnd777

I would still say consider Eleagnus, Pyracantha, and Escallonia
They are all evergreen /variegated and beautiful

A Leylandi Hedge is simply not worth the hell it causes both for you or your
neighbours
The 120 ft I suffer is a prime example

et...

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
I would still say consider Eleagnus, Pyracantha, and Escallonia
They are all evergreen /variegated and beautiful

A Leylandi Hedge is simply not worth the hell it causes both for you or your
neighbours
The 120 ft I suffer is a prime example

I take it this is you Barry? still haven't moved then?
--
David
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
bnd777

No one wants to live next to the Leylandi ......would you !!!
"David" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Kay Easton

In article , bnd777
writes
No one wants to live next to the Leylandi

Unless you've asked everyone, how can you possibly know that?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Michael Berridge

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote in message ...
An opinion:
OK.....one dissenter......Leylandii cypruss makes a beautiful

hedge.....had
a neighbour problem and planted one as a shield .........working
perfectly.....have since sold the property and the new owners are in

love
with the 'hedge'.......about 25 odd feet tall and still

growing......spoke
to the new owners only a few days ago and they have no intention of

stopping

The neighbours may very soon have a remedy with the legislation
currently going through Parliament, which will give councils the right
to cut down a hedge to a specific height if the two people cannot agree.
It is being done because of the large numbers of disputes, almost always
involving Leylandii, some of which have erupted into violence, (the
disputes, not the leylandii).

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
No one wants to live next to the Leylandi ......would you !!!

Have you tried to sell then? last time we discussed this you refused to
even consider being 'forced out'
--
David

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , bnd777
writes
No one wants to live next to the Leylandi

Unless you've asked everyone, how can you possibly know that?

Barry Davies ate my voting slip.

Janet.
Old 22-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Alan Holmes

"David" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes
No one wants to live next to the Leylandi ......would you !!!

Have you tried to sell then? last time we discussed this you refused to
even consider being 'forced out'

Why should he be 'forced out' because of someone elses stupidity?

Alan

Old 22-03-2003, 07:32 PM
bnd777

Thanks Alan ........I agree
We are unfortunate enough to have a very very nasty neighbour indeed who
delights in creating all manner of problems
and thinks Leylandi are a good weapon

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes

Old 23-03-2003, 04:32 PM
David

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , bnd777
writes
No one wants to live next to the Leylandi ......would you !!!

Have you tried to sell then? last time we discussed this you refused to
even consider being 'forced out'

Why should he be 'forced out' because of someone elses stupidity?

If I was in the same situation as Barry, I would cut my losses, you only
get the one life and I would refuse to have years of it blighted by
neighbour disputes.
--
David
Old 23-03-2003, 04:32 PM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
Thanks Alan ........I agree
We are unfortunate enough to have a very very nasty neighbour indeed who
delights in creating all manner of problems
and thinks Leylandi are a good weapon

You never did answer the question about trying to sell, I suppose you're
just going to moan about it without doing much to help yourself. Why
don't you just cut them down, someone else did that and got fined but
they considered it money well spent.
--
David