Plum Tree Die Back

Old 22-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Steve H

Default Plum Tree Die Back

My 10year old Victoria which is a prolific producer has a number of small
branches where the tips have died back.
The rest of the tree looks healthy.
Should I remove these now & is it a case to be concerned?

Steve

Old 22-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:26:42 -0000, "Steve H"
wrote:

My 10year old Victoria which is a prolific producer has a number of small
branches where the tips have died back.
The rest of the tree looks healthy.
Should I remove these now & is it a case to be concerned?

Plum trees are prone to a fungal infection ( or is it a virus...can't
remember the name, but it turns the wood purple ), and doing any kind
of surgery before the last frosts are out will leave the tree wide
open to it.
I find it's best to trim back dead branches once the tree has put out
leaf.
This is also a good time to check for any signs of disease.

I've got about 20 old plum trees ( all Victoria ) and to be honest
none of them are that healthy..but they put on a good show of fruit
every year, though it seems that they fruit prolifically every two
years.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk