Old 27-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Joe Jamies

Default Fresh sawdust as soil amendment???

Hi,

About 10 cubic metres of fresh fir sawdust was just delivered to my
garden site. The soil is basically clay and very hard to work with. I
would like to use this sawdust to improve the soil structure.

Should I compost the sawdust in a pile (or several piles), or can I
spread the sawdust over my soil so it can compost "in place" (due to
the large amount of sawdust)? As a nitrogen source, I am thinking of
using urea. How long before this soil is ready for planting
vegetables?

My vegetable garden will take up half the site, so I would like to
prepare that soil ASAP. I would like to use the other half of the site
for trying other ways of improving soil, eg. cover crops, etc. Can I
start some cover crops now in the area I will not be using for my
vegetable patch? Any suggestions on what a good combination of cover
crops would be?

Thanks
Joe
Old 27-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Martin Brown

Joe Jamies wrote:

About 10 cubic metres of fresh fir sawdust was just delivered to my
garden site. The soil is basically clay and very hard to work with. I
would like to use this sawdust to improve the soil structure.

Should I compost the sawdust in a pile (or several piles),

My money would be on composting it ASAP with an accelerant to get it going
quickly. Garotta cut with ammonium sulphate is pretty good. You may have
enough bulk there that it is self starting anyway. But it will rot down
much faster with some twiggy stuff to provide air and some extra nitrogen
accelerant.

Don't leave a big compost pile too close to fences or your garden shed it
can get very hot.

or can I spread the sawdust over my soil so it can compost "in place"
(due to
the large amount of sawdust)?

If you mix it into the soil directly it will rob nitrogen rather badly.

As a nitrogen source, I am thinking of using urea. How long before this
soil is ready for planting
vegetables?

I'd plant spuds as a way of breaking up the clay without bothering too
much about soil structure.
Best time to fight clay is in the Autumn when you can add clay breaking
chemicals and leave the frosts to do their work. Even so composted lawn
mowings and anything else organic and bulky you can get are more useful.

My vegetable garden will take up half the site, so I would like to
prepare that soil ASAP. I would like to use the other half of the site
for trying other ways of improving soil, eg. cover crops, etc.

This year I'd live with the heavy soil and grow the vegetables in it.
Improve modest areas by a large amount rather than spreading it too thinly
to have any measurable effect.

My soil is extremely heavy clay and I have only improved it where
absolutely necessary. Clay soils are pretty fertile ground even if in
winter they stick to your boots and tools in inch thick slabs and set like
concrete in summer. And many vegetables will thrive in it provided you
keep them watered.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 27-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Joe wrote in message
[...]

We garden on Thames clay/silt and have a ready supply of well rotted sawdust
from our neighbours the Egham Swan Sanctuary. Wonderful stuff for clay, the
fine particles help separate the clay. Also makes a good mulch for around
cucurbits etc.
Don't use it fresh though, it will rob nitrogen out of the soil, our's has
it's own in built accelerator (swan shit). :-)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 28-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 27 Mar 2003 04:20:30 -0800, Joe Jamies wrote:

About 10 cubic metres of fresh fir sawdust was just delivered...

Lucky you!

Should I compost the sawdust in a pile (or several piles), or can I
spread the sawdust over my soil so it can compost "in place" (due to
the large amount of sawdust)? As a nitrogen source, I am thinking of
using urea. How long before this soil is ready for planting
vegetables?

One of the American reference books in my library, "Wyman's
Garden Encyclopedial", goes into exactly this question, but
unfortunately the book has strayed and I can't look the details
up regarding the amount of nitrogen you need to use. It's not
really critical - try a few ounces of urea per square yard for,
say, three inches of sawdust applied superficially.

If your soil is acid, a dusting of lime will also help.

Remember that when decomposition is complete, the soil will be on
the rich side as the added nitrogen is released.

You can plant directly into soil so amended. Many nurseries here
use a sawdust-based compost for potting and I assure you that
they don't let the stuff rot down before use.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old Sawdust - not about sawdust that's for sure Salty Thumb Gardening 0 30-04-2004 03:03 AM
Efficacy of sawdust, was, Old Sawdust David J Bockman Gardening 1 28-04-2004 07:06 PM
need some soil amendment advice, I think. Penny S. Gardening 14 23-04-2003 04:32 AM
Fresh sawdust as soil amendment??? Joe Jamies Gardening 4 27-03-2003 06:56 PM
UT Roland's Favorite Soil Amendment Theory was, More Better Blooms Shiva Roses 14 08-02-2003 04:14 AM