Old 29-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Victor West

Default Passion Flower

Hello,
Sorry if this question has been asked before.
We have a passion flower at the end of our garden on a south facing wall. It
has been there for a couple of years. Until recently it was growing on a 10
foot long trellis. As it was getting quite overgrown we decided to install
some wiring on the wall in order for it to grow further out. However, the
passion flower appears to have dried out slightly and is looking slightly
withered. Is this normal? I thought the reason may be that the plant is
getting more air circulating around it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Victor

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
JennyC

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
Sorry if this question has been asked before.
We have a passion flower at the end of our garden on a south facing

wall. It
has been there for a couple of years. Until recently it was growing

on a 10
foot long trellis. As it was getting quite overgrown we decided to

install
some wiring on the wall in order for it to grow further out.

However, the
passion flower appears to have dried out slightly and is looking

slightly
withered. Is this normal? I thought the reason may be that the plant

is
getting more air circulating around it. Any comments would be

appreciated.

Victor

The top growth has probably been caught by frost.

Test to see if the plant is still alive by carefully scraping the stem
near the roots with your thumbnail. If its green its alive - brown
means its probably dead :~(

If its still alive, wait a bit and then prune out the dead top growth.

Jenny

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JennyC wrote:
[...]

Mine is similar. Most passion flowers are severely tropical, and
will not survive either frost or being cut back hard. P. caerulea
is the only one that can take most UK winters (the two even hardier,
herbaceous ones, P. lutea and P. incarnata, can't take the wet).
P. caerulea will also grow herbaceously when established.

So the key is not to do ANYTHING until the weather warms up. If it
reshoots, do what Jenny says. If it doesn't, cut it back to the
ground and it will probably resprout from its roots. But it may well
not do so until high summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Jack

My passionflower seems to have suffering the same fate as yours. I cut it
right back as it had suffered from the Februrary frosts (it was doing fine
until then). Anyway, yesterday I dug it out and potted it up in the hope it
might come back. But I've planted a new one in its place, as I don't hold
out much hope. If any new growth appears I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Jim W

JennyC wrote:
[...]

I concur with Nick.

Wait until at least May/June before giving up.. The other thing you
can do is protect roots from excessive wet and frost with a good thick
mulch. P. caerulea is listed by ART http://www.agroforesty.co.uk as
being hardey to -20 C but in my experience it really doesn't start
growing until established. Cutting back old or frosted growthtoo early
may be a mistake as it will provide some small protection if left in
situ.
//
Jim
North London, England, UK

Old 02-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Victor West

Thanks for all the answers.
I think I'll wait and see cut back the dead parts and hope that it recovers.
If not I'll just plant something else there. It'll be a pity if I have lost
it because it was bursting with flowers last summer but, hey, that's all
part of gardening! )

Victor

Old 02-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Victor West wrote:
Thanks for all the answers.
I think I'll wait and see cut back the dead parts and hope that it recovers.
If not I'll just plant something else there. It'll be a pity if I have lost
it because it was bursting with flowers last summer but, hey, that's all
part of gardening! )

Despite what I said, I saw that mine had started sprouting (it is in
a VERY warm spot for this garden), and so cut it back to just above
some active shoots. I shall see how it goes, but expect it to ramp
forward if the weather stays fairly warm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Kase

Until I recently moved house I had a passion flower against a semi shaded
wall in Stockport, my friend Sarah has one in a totally shaded spot, and my
parents have one in full sun over in Barnsley. All three have always done
well, but from January to April they have always lost their leaves and
become barren, dead looking twig creatures! However, they have always
recovered, and flowered well through to November, with a bit of pruning to
remove any branches that were completely dead. My parents passion flower
last year produced many kilos of edible fruit too, after their plant put on
over 12 foot of growth!! (I've only ever had the odd fruit or two on mine,
and I don't think Sarah gets any)

So hopefully all is not lost for those plants which are a bit dejected right
now!

Kase

Old 05-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Frazer Wright

Kase wrote on Thu, 3 Apr 2003 12:40:47 +0000 (UTC) :

Until I recently moved house I had a passion flower against a semi shaded
wall in Stockport, my friend Sarah has one in a totally shaded spot, and my
parents have one in full sun over in Barnsley.

snip

So hopefully all is not lost for those plants which are a bit dejected right
now!

Kase

We are not too far from Barnsley, and we inherited a passion flower when
we moved in last September. The previous occupant grumbled that 2002 was
the first time since he planted it (in 1994) that it had flowered. We
had a succession of single flowers (rarely more than one at any time)

Unless it performs better this year, it is for the chop: I hate lazy
plants!

I have pruned it back quite hard, and it seems healthy, Time will tell.