Old 04-02-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Pre-Chelsea.......

May I suggest that all those who feel strongly enough, write to the Beeb's
gardening programme department and insist that we have less gurning TV
presenters slapping each others backs; that the names of plants are shown on
the screen and that Alan and Diarmuid are not allowed within a mile of each
other. AND that if Diarmuid is going to enter his own design again, he does
not get loads of free publicity on the subject.
If we don't make/repeat our points now, it will be too late when Chelsea
does open!
Jenny.......you have contacts! ;-))
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-02-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Gurning? They don't gurn. If you want gurning watch the King of Gurners,
Charlie on Coronation Street. He's now started gurning when he's not even
talking - he just gurns and gurns and gurns ...... aargh.

"Sacha" wrote...

Old 04-02-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Sacha writes
May I suggest that all those who feel strongly enough, write to the Beeb's
gardening programme department and insist that we have less gurning TV
presenters slapping each others backs; that the names of plants are shown on
the screen and that Alan and Diarmuid are not allowed within a mile of each
other. AND that if Diarmuid is going to enter his own design again, he does
not get loads of free publicity on the subject.
If we don't make/repeat our points now, it will be too late when Chelsea
does open!

I'd father rather Alan stuck to gardening programmes (which I tend not
to watch) than he should leak into Last Night of the Proms,
documentaries and all sorts of other programmes ;-)

--
Kay
Old 04-02-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
May I suggest that all those who feel strongly enough, write to the Beeb's
gardening programme department and insist that we have less gurning TV
presenters slapping each others backs; that the names of plants are shown on
the screen and that Alan and Diarmuid are not allowed within a mile of each
other. AND that if Diarmuid is going to enter his own design again, he does
not get loads of free publicity on the subject.
If we don't make/repeat our points now, it will be too late when Chelsea
does open!
Jenny.......you have contacts! ;-))
Sacha

nah - that's GQT :~))
Jenny

Old 04-02-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 4/2/06 16:16, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

Sacha writes
May I suggest that all those who feel strongly enough, write to the Beeb's
gardening programme department and insist that we have less gurning TV
presenters slapping each others backs; that the names of plants are shown on
the screen and that Alan and Diarmuid are not allowed within a mile of each
other. AND that if Diarmuid is going to enter his own design again, he does
not get loads of free publicity on the subject.
If we don't make/repeat our points now, it will be too late when Chelsea
does open!

I'd father rather Alan stuck to gardening programmes (which I tend not
to watch) than he should leak into Last Night of the Proms,
documentaries and all sorts of other programmes ;-)

I wonder if this is because of his high profile generally, or because he is
under contract to the Beeb so is used as much as possible - or both, of
course. I don't find him as annoying as other people seem to but there is a
problem in the public's perception of a person as being a presenter in one
slot or the other, I think.
I wasn't suggesting that Alan should not present Chelsea but that we should
not be subjected to that teeth achingly arch 'play' stuff that went on
between them last year or the gimmick of Chris Beardshaw riding his bike
around the exhibition gardens the night before, just when anxious exhibitors
most wanted to be left alone to finish, too! IOW, more about the gardens
and the plants and nothing about the personality of the presenters or
allotments in Cheshire. Chelsea and just Chelsea would be my personal plea.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-02-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote
On 5/2/06 9:26, "JennyC" wrote:

May I suggest that all those who feel strongly enough, write to the

Beeb's
gardening programme department and insist that we have less gurning TV
presenters slapping each others backs; that the names of plants are shown

on the screen and that Alan and Diarmuid are not allowed within a mile of

each
other. AND that if Diarmuid is going to enter his own design again, he

does not get loads of free publicity on the subject.
If we don't make/repeat our points now, it will be too late when Chelsea
does open! Jenny.......you have contacts! ;-))
Sacha

Mail sent to: and

Maybe if we ALL mail them .......................
Jenny

I must admit that I hope lots do.

Here's the reply I got:

I am sorry that you were disappointed by the BBC's coverage of the RHS Chelsea
Flower Show last year, especially with the BBC Television presenters and their
style of presenting.
We work closely with the BBC to try to ensure that viewers who cannot visit
Chelsea personally are able to enjoy as much of the show as possible. However,
editorial control rests with the BBC, as does their choice of presenters.

We have passed on to the BBC the concerns of viewers who have written to us, and
we are pressing the producers for improved coverage of the Great Pavilion and
floral content in general.

However, we recognise that the BBC coverage of the show needs to appeal to a
wide audience, not just keen gardeners, and over the years the programmes have
proven extremely popular, attracting an average of more than three million
viewers daily. In 2005 we received fewer complaints about Chelsea coverage,
around 30 in total, than in any year since the BBC won the contract to cover the
show in 2001.

We do take note of members and viewers concerns and take these into account when
we regularly review our broadcasting arrangements. Thank you for taking the
time to send us your view, which I will also forward to the BBC.

Kind regards, Hayley (RHS Pressoffice)

Old 09-02-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Sacha writes

How strange. That's *precisely* the one I got! I have also written to the
BBC.

Not strange at all. They'll have carefully drafted a standard letter and
be sending out to everyone ;-) The most you can hope for is a tailored
addition if you make a specific point that no one else has made.

I wonder why Chelsea coverage "has to appeal to a wider audience, not
just gardeners". Going back to Janet's sporting analogies, they don't,
for example, arrange for "Pot Black" to appeal to people who aren't
interested in snooker, do they?
--
Kay
Old 09-02-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay contains these words:

I wonder why Chelsea coverage "has to appeal to a wider audience, not
just gardeners". Going back to Janet's sporting analogies, they don't,
for example, arrange for "Pot Black" to appeal to people who aren't
interested in snooker, do they?

Maybe if they stuck flowers in all those holes, I'd find snooker more
interesting?

Janet
Old 09-02-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

I wonder why Chelsea coverage "has to appeal to a wider audience, not
just gardeners". Going back to Janet's sporting analogies, they don't,
for example, arrange for "Pot Black" to appeal to people who aren't
interested in snooker, do they?

Maybe if they stuck flowers in all those holes, I'd find snooker more
interesting?

A snooker ball can do lots of damage. What if they filled the holes with
VWs and slugs instead?
--
Kay