Old 15-02-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Zinc Potterman

Default Old tyres on allotment

I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?
Thanks
Zinc

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk
To reply to address don't click.
Cut and paste, change at to @ symbol
then delete spaces.
------------------------------------

Old 15-02-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...
:I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
: I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
: Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
: Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?
: Thanks
: Zinc

I don't think they break down, well not in our life time anyway. Bob
Flowerdew uses them and he is 'King Organic' so they must be ok but it'll be
interesting to hear other answers

Old 15-02-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Robert wrote:

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...
:I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
: I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
: Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
: Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?

I don't think they break down, well not in our life time anyway. Bob
Flowerdew uses them and he is 'King Organic' so they must be ok but it'll be
interesting to hear other answers

No, that is wrong. They break down in 5+ years, depending on the tyre,
from a combination of ultraviolet and oxygen. They may take a very
long time to break down completely. If they are natural rubber (and
your guess is as good as mine), then the main other materials are
sulphur and carbon (both pretty harmless), plus the steel and fibres
of the reinforcement.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-02-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...
I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?
Thanks
Zinc

Don't set fire to them. Then they should stay organic for a few more years.

Use them for growing spuds.

Dave

Old 16-02-2006, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Zinc Potterman"wrote ...
I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?

Everything you wanted to know about tyres...
http://floti.bell.ac.uk/johnpenny/pdfs/ea_tyres.pdf

--
Regards
Bob

Old 16-02-2006, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Palmer

someone here wrote:
"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...
I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?
Thanks
Zinc

Don't set fire to them. Then they should stay organic for a few more years.

Use them for growing spuds.

Dave

and another bouus is that if they came off a Ferrari
whatever you plant in them they will really grow fast
Old 16-02-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Ron Palmer" wrote in message
someone here wrote:
"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply)
wrote
in message ...
I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted
about.
I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?
Thanks
Zinc

Don't set fire to them. Then they should stay organic for a few more
years.

Use them for growing spuds.

Dave

and another bouus is that if they came off a Ferrari
whatever you plant in them they will really grow fast

I guess Reliant Robin tyres are no use. Slow growing and wobbly veg

Old 16-02-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Use them for growing spuds.

Dave

and another bouus is that if they came off a Ferrari
whatever you plant in them they will really grow fast

I guess Reliant Robin tyres are no use. Slow growing and wobbly veg

I dunno - wasn't it a Reliant Robin which lost a dibble Range Roller
across fields?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-02-2006, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Use them for growing spuds.

Dave

and another bouus is that if they came off a Ferrari
whatever you plant in them they will really grow fast

I guess Reliant Robin tyres are no use. Slow growing and wobbly veg

I dunno - wasn't it a Reliant Robin which lost a dibble Range Roller
across fields?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Something similar ;-)
A FUGITIVE at the wheel of a green Reliant Robin held six police cars and
two helicopters at bay in a high-speed chase all the way from Salisbury to
Blandford
http://archive.swindonadvertiser.co....27/200398.html

4 tyres are better than 3 for spud production.

Old 17-02-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Zinc Potterman

To genuine replies many thanks for info.#
The rest of you need to find something to do.
Zinc

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk

Old 17-02-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Zinc Potterman writes
To genuine replies many thanks for info.#
The rest of you need to find something to do.

We have. We talk around subjects suggested by the posts on this group.
This isn't an advice bureau, you know - it's a discussion group.
--
Kay
Old 18-02-2006, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug

"K" wrote in message
news
Zinc Potterman writes
To genuine replies many thanks for info.#
The rest of you need to find something to do.

We have. We talk around subjects suggested by the posts on this group.
This isn't an advice bureau, you know - it's a discussion group.
--
Kay

************

A little humour interspersed here and there lightens life a wee bit and
doesn't offend me.
As regards the subject in hand I have, - through the years, many times seen
tyres stacked one on top of the other and way back this was the method used
by friends of mine who were keen carrot contestants at shows. They piled
enough tyres for their purpose and filled the inside up to the top with
their own 'secret' mix of compost. They then shoved broom handle down the
middle. They then - with the bottom of the stick (handle) kept still ,
revolve the handle in circular fashion until they had formed a long tapering
'tube' shape in the pile compost. they then filled the lengthy (ice-cream
cornet shaped) with another special secret soft, thin compost. Then they
sowed the or four seeds each in three or four or five 'tubes'. As they
grew, the weaklings were nipped out leaving one plant in each 'tube.' They
are then fed with the gardener's own secret fluids .
For show purposes unblemished carrots of excellent shape and skin features,
four to five feet long were quite common.
Doug.
************

Old 18-02-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:33:57 +0000 (UTC), "Zinc Potterman"
. (delete 123's to reply) wrote:

I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?
Thanks
Zinc

Bung one on the ground fill with earth and plant 5 potatoes in it.
When the leaves show above ground bung another on top fill with earth
and bung in another 5 spuds. Continue untill too high.
You'll have a massive potato harvest in very little space.

Old 18-02-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:30:56 -0000, "Rupert"
wrote:

"Ron Palmer" wrote in message
someone here wrote:
"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply)
wrote
in message ...
I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted
about.
I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?
Thanks
Zinc

Don't set fire to them. Then they should stay organic for a few more
years.

Use them for growing spuds.

Dave

and another bouus is that if they came off a Ferrari
whatever you plant in them they will really grow fast

I guess Reliant Robin tyres are no use. Slow growing and wobbly veg

Oi I had Relly Regal and it went like stink
Old 18-02-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:48:14 +0000, K wrote:

Zinc Potterman writes
To genuine replies many thanks for info.#
The rest of you need to find something to do.

We have. We talk around subjects suggested by the posts on this group.
This isn't an advice bureau, you know - it's a discussion group.

Amen

Potatos in tyres George.com Gardening 12 09-01-2008 01:13 PM
using old tyres Broadback United Kingdom 1 27-02-2006 11:30 PM
Growing spuds in tyres Vicky United Kingdom 11 02-05-2004 07:09 PM
Wormery from tyres? picti United Kingdom 1 10-05-2003 05:20 PM
Growing potatoes in tyres Natalie United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 03:42 PM