Old 23-02-2006, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default Collard greens

Has anyone had any experience of growing collards in the UK?
They are widely grown in the US, particularly in the South, as a source
of greens similar to kale, they are a non heading cabbage, the leaves
are like those of oil seed rape but bigger.
I have some seeds of are variety called Vates
Cheers
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

Old 23-02-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"cliff_the_gardener" writes:

| Has anyone had any experience of growing collards in the UK?
| They are widely grown in the US, particularly in the South, as a source
| of greens similar to kale, they are a non heading cabbage, the leaves
| are like those of oil seed rape but bigger.
| I have some seeds of are variety called Vates

Some people have, but they are really only a variety of kale
that is better suited to hotter conditions. In this country,
you would usually be better off with one of the agricultural
kales, that many of the older of us remember from our youth.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JimP

Mine grew well at Berwick last year. Needs a good 18 inch seperation.
Start it under and plant out after frost is gone. The crawlies love it
but will leave enough fo the pot. I'll let some go to flowwer for more
seeds this year. 15 or 20 will feed a family and the neighbors and the
crawlies.

Old 24-02-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On 22 Feb 2006 16:37:39 -0800, "cliff_the_gardener"
wrote:

Has anyone had any experience of growing collards in the UK?
They are widely grown in the US, particularly in the South, as a source
of greens similar to kale, they are a non heading cabbage, the leaves
are like those of oil seed rape but bigger.
I have some seeds of are variety called Vates
Cheers
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

In Cornwall, at this time of year the farmers grow fields of 'spring
greens', also known as collards. They are, as you describe, a
non-heading cabbage similar to kale, widely available in supermarkets
locally as 'spring greens' or just 'fresh greens', and very nice too.
Whether they're the same as your collard greens I don't know, but I
suspect they're very similar.

There was a thread on collards in urg several months ago.

--
Chris

Old 24-02-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

In Cornwall, at this time of year the farmers grow fields of 'spring
greens', also known as collards. They are, as you describe, a
non-heading cabbage similar to kale, widely available in supermarkets
locally as 'spring greens' or just 'fresh greens', and very nice too.

Ah! So the name would have reached the USA from the West Country.

Whether they're the same as your collard greens I don't know, but I
suspect they're very similar.

Yes. Modern USA collard greens have been selected for better heat
adaptation (most UK brassica varieties are VERY sensitive to anything
above chilly conditions, as the result of long selection for our
climate), but I believe that is pretty well the only difference
between them and some of our kales ("spring greens" is a recent
marketing term for kale).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

wrote:

Has anyone had any experience of growing collards in the UK?
They are widely grown in the US, particularly in the South, as a source
of greens similar to kale, they are a non heading cabbage, the leaves
are like those of oil seed rape but bigger.
I have some seeds of are variety called Vates
Cheers
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

In Cornwall, at this time of year the farmers grow fields of 'spring
greens', also known as collards. They are, as you describe, a
non-heading cabbage similar to kale, widely available in supermarkets
locally as 'spring greens' or just 'fresh greens', and very nice too.
Whether they're the same as your collard greens I don't know, but I
suspect they're very similar.

There was a thread on collards in urg several months ago.

is
~~~~~~~~
There was~~~ I remember stating that I had seen West Country
'Collards' arriving at Covent Garden[in baskets] and departing as 'Spring
greens' ~ Many years ago.
Best Wishes Brian.

Collard greens Jim United Kingdom 8 01-07-2005 06:49 PM
Collard greens-something is eating them DXer Gardening 5 07-07-2004 02:02 AM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 08:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 01:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 11:37 PM