Old 31-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Thos

Default Moving Young Fruit Trees

Hi All
I planted some dwarf fruit trees(plum/gage/cherry) about 18 months ago, I
have since re-thought the layout of the garden, and now want to move them.
They have just started to show bud.
Can I risk moving them now if I do it carefully and show them extra loving
care for the next few weeks?
What is the wisdom of the group?
Your comments eagerly awaited
Regards
Tom

Old 31-03-2003, 11:44 PM
anton

Thos wrote in message ...
Hi All
I planted some dwarf fruit trees(plum/gage/cherry) about 18 months ago, I
have since re-thought the layout of the garden, and now want to move them.
They have just started to show bud.
Can I risk moving them now

yes, probably. Aim for as big a rootball as you can; minimum
root disturbance; stake well;

if I do it carefully and show them extra loving
care for the next few weeks?

er- a bit llonger, I suggest- don't let them dry out later in the summer.

--
Anton

Old 02-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Dwayne

And do it in the evening, not during the hot part of the day. Water at
least twice a week for several weeks, as long as the waster drains very
well. Otherwise less. Dwayne

Old 02-04-2003, 07:20 AM
jane

~
~"Thos" wrote in message
~ Hi All
~ I planted some dwarf fruit trees(plum/gage/cherry) about 18 months ago, I
~ have since re-thought the layout of the garden, and now want to move them.
~ They have just started to show bud.
~ Can I risk moving them now if I do it carefully and show them extra loving
~ care for the next few weeks?
~ What is the wisdom of the group?
~ Your comments eagerly awaited
~ Regards
~ Tom

I managed to move successfully a tripover apple the other week. It was
quite elderly, and the nicest flavoured apple in my allotment, but the
previous holder had put it in a silly place. It had barely any root, and I
thought it was not going to survive, especially as its buds were quite
large at that point.

I put loads of well-rotted manure in the hole, stomped it all down well,
watered it well and mulched it heavily with wood chippings. It has now
taken off like a rocket and has buds open all over, and looking like the
flowers are going to open any day now. I was amazed. I think your
youngsters will have a good chance.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 AM
John H Wood

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 06:14:29 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

I managed to move successfully a tripover apple the other week. It was
quite elderly, and the nicest flavoured apple in my allotment, but the
previous holder had put it in a silly place. It had barely any root, and I
thought it was not going to survive, especially as its buds were quite
large at that point.

I put loads of well-rotted manure in the hole, stomped it all down well,
watered it well and mulched it heavily with wood chippings. It has now
taken off like a rocket and has buds open all over, and looking like the
flowers are going to open any day now. I was amazed. I think your
youngsters will have a good chance.

I hope this will not be pride before a fall. It's early days yet. The
bursting buds don't show that the roots are working well. Just that
it's spring and the tree is still alive.

I have five choice apples varieties that I grafted six years ago and
cherished. They were cropping well and living up to my expectation
taste wise. The daughters' sheep got at them and ring barked the lot,
the entire stems. They are budding wonderfully as if nothing had
happened but when the leaves are out and transpiring in the hot sun
they will die. Hope your own survives the transplant. Give us an
update next spring.

Blossom already! Where do you live, south of France?

John
East Devon

Remove "s" from upslyme when replying.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:08 PM
jane

(jane) wrote:
~
[...]

well that's what I am afraid of... but so far, so good. I'm hoping it
just keeps going long enough to get a fruit I can take to be
identified, so I can buy another! I couldn't have left it where it
was, and during the lifting I realised it had keeled over and was very
loose in the soil without any help at all. It took very little effort
to get out, though I'd been prepared to dig a huge hole, expecting the
roots to be 6' across. They weren't - more like a foot across and 18"
down. So no, I'm not expecting it to be the longest lived tree ever.

Young trees however ought to be OK as long as their root balls are big
enough and there is a well-prepared hole waiting for them. This is
what I was told when I asked about moving mine.

~I have five choice apples varieties that I grafted six years ago and
~cherished. They were cropping well and living up to my expectation
~taste wise. The daughters' sheep got at them and ring barked the lot,
~the entire stems. They are budding wonderfully as if nothing had
~happened but when the leaves are out and transpiring in the hot sun
~they will die. Hope your own survives the transplant. Give us an
~update next spring.

Oh I will. Ouch to your trees. Can you wrap them in cling film or
something? Or just hope that you can graft them onto new root stock?

~Blossom already! Where do you live, south of France?
Chilterns. South facing slope, sheltered allotment. My potted
minarette's at the same stage (visibly pink flower buds). Giant
Bramley is still asleep, egremont russet just starting to wake.

I don't think they'll open for a while yet, but they definitely look
like they might! (Last year I noted one had blossom out by April 15th
but I think we're a week or so behind this year).

Old 04-04-2003, 08:56 AM
jane

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 05:52:10 GMT,
(John H Wood) wrote:

~On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:06:38 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~
~On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:29:43 GMT,

~(John H Wood) wrote:
~
~~I have five choice apples varieties that I grafted six years ago and
~~cherished. They were cropping well and living up to my expectation
~~taste wise. The daughters' sheep got at them and ring barked the lot,
~~the entire stems. They are budding wonderfully as if nothing had
~~happened but when the leaves are out and transpiring in the hot sun
~~they will die. Hope your own survives the transplant. Give us an
~~update next spring.
~
~Oh I will. Ouch to your trees. Can you wrap them in cling film or
~something? Or just hope that you can graft them onto new root stock?
~
~I thought that my "grafting" days were over and have no root stock
~left. I have taken a serious look at some of my varieties such as
~Sturmer Pippin, a wonderful apple but no good here, and decided that
~they must go to make way for the like of Ashmeads Kernel and Kidd's
~Orange Red, so will top graft them over.
~
~Have you tried grafting, it's easy?
~But probably too late for your tree this year.

I haven't, and this is one reason I hope the tree will survive the
first year. (Or fruit so I can get it identified and buy another one -
it's a really early, soft-fruited eater with yellow and pink colour
and I like it better than all the other varieties, even though it
won't store).
Where does one get rootstocks? My local vanHage GC is pretty much the
"sell prepackaged labelled whole tree" type and I'd confuse them if I
walked in and asked for an M27 or whatever.

If I were to start again I'd raise it as a cordon not a tripover,
that's for sure!