Old 02-04-2003, 08:08 PM
ned

Default Electric or pertrol cylinder mower?

MOGMAN wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone please advise whether a petrol cylinder mower is better
than an electric cylinder mower in terms of cut quality. The
electric mower that I have seen is approx £300.
I am unsure as to whether the extra weight of a petrol mower adds
any improvement.

The supply of electricity is not a problem.

The extra weight might improve the 'quality' of the stripes but I
doubt it does much mower (!).
Once you get the knack of handling the power lead, the lighter mower
will be easier to manoeuvre and an electric one will start FIRST time.
A petrol one could be a more problematic and *!*!*!* frustrating
starting experience.
IMHO

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:15:28 +0000, MOGMAN wrote:

Can anyone please advise whether a petrol cylinder mower is better than an
electric cylinder mower in terms of cut quality. The electric mower that I

Hi Steve,

I can only comment that there is little or no difference in quality of cut
between petrol and electric rotary mowers. I presently have a 18" petrol
rotary mower - because I was taking 1hr to mow the lawn with a 15" blade
electric rotary on a 60ft cable!!! I now mow the lawn in 20min flat!

Whilst investigating which new mower to purchase (with URG's help - much
appreciated guys & girls ), most places offered to let me test push
their mowers - these were either specilist suppliers of mowers only, or
suppliers of mixed light plant - not the DIY superstores.

I only did one test mow in the end - of my chosen mower to check (a) I
could lift it and (b) it would cope with the slope/hill in my back garden.

Electrics are lighter than petrol, OTOH, a good cylinder mower might be
quite heavy if it incorporates a roller for that really stripey look.

I suggest research with test drives.

Sarah

Old 03-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Simon Avery

"MOGMAN" wrote:

Hello MOGMAN

M Can anyone please advise whether a petrol cylinder mower is
M better than an electric cylinder mower in terms of cut
M quality. The electric mower that I have seen is approx £300.
M I am unsure as to whether the extra weight of a petrol mower
M adds any improvement.

Area of lawn?

Finish is not the only consideration, ease of use, type and size of
lawn also very important.

But to approach the problem from a different direction - where are the
best lawns? Cricket fields? Professional football pitches?

They don't use electric mowers...