Bamboo from B&Q - need info

Old 05-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Andrew Thomson

Default Bamboo from B&Q - need info

I had a look around B&Q today. They are doing a bamboo that they call
'Jumbo'. I've had a look around the internet and since I can't find anyone
else with info on Bamboo 'Jumbo', I'm assuming that this is not the
official name for this plant.

The plant info card describes the height as 180-240cm, which doesn't seem
jumbo in comparison to some of the bamboos I've seen.

Does anyone know anything about this plant? Does anyone have any experience
with it and tips on how it grows and how to treat it?

Andrew Thomson

Old 05-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Jayne

Andrew - I don't know about that at all, but having had bamboo in my garden
in S. Africa I can tell you that it is very invasive so I'd be careful where
you plant it as it's almost impossible to get rid of as it keep popping up
again.

Jayne

Old 06-04-2003, 12:32 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Adam Davis
writes
I have a feeling that the bamboo you refer to is a Fargesia murielae
'Jumbo'

for some pictures throw the phrase

Fargesia murielae 'Jumbo'

into Google Images.

--
dave @ stejonda

October 7 Bush Iraq Speech Analysis http://www.accuracy.org/bush/
Old 06-04-2003, 09:20 AM
AWM

"Andrew Thomson" wrote in message
I had a look around B&Q today. They are doing a bamboo that they call
'Jumbo'. I've had a look around the internet and since I can't find anyone
else with info on Bamboo 'Jumbo', I'm assuming that this is not the
official name for this plant.

The plant info card describes the height as 180-240cm, which doesn't seem
jumbo in comparison to some of the bamboos I've seen.

Does anyone know anything about this plant? Does anyone have any

experience
with it and tips on how it grows and how to treat it?

Andrew Thomson

WARNING !

Only ever plant in some sort of container -- if you want to plant in ground
plant in a semi buried the container to restrict roots.
If you don't do this you will have resort to controlling it by use of
several tons of "Agent Orange".

Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
MG

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 08:16:14 +0000 (UTC), "AWM"
wrote:

"Andrew Thomson" wrote in message
m...
I had a look around B&Q today. They are doing a bamboo that they call
'Jumbo'. I've had a look around the internet and since I can't find anyone
else with info on Bamboo 'Jumbo', I'm assuming that this is not the
official name for this plant.

The plant info card describes the height as 180-240cm, which doesn't seem
jumbo in comparison to some of the bamboos I've seen.

Does anyone know anything about this plant? Does anyone have any

experience
with it and tips on how it grows and how to treat it?

Andrew Thomson

WARNING !

Only ever plant in some sort of container -- if you want to plant in ground
plant in a semi buried the container to restrict roots.
If you don't do this you will have resort to controlling it by use of
several tons of "Agent Orange".

In my situation I WANT MASSIVE GROWTH !!! But my bamboo has only 2
young stems and no sign of any rampant behaviour!!! How to stimulate
it??

MG
Old 14-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Adam Davis

It will come soon, just have to be patient :-)

The bamboo will be doing a lot of growing under the ground at the moment
and, depending on what type of bamboo it is, will start to sprout new culms
in the next 1 to 2 months.

Adam