GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New Handles for Forks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/138856-new-handles-forks.html)

Instep 13-03-2006 01:58 PM

New Handles for Forks

My wooden garden fork handle has broken.
Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement. Please.
Ann

Sacha 13-03-2006 02:03 PM

New Handles for Forks

On 13/3/06 12:58, in article ,
"Instep" wrote:

My wooden garden fork handle has broken.
Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement. Please.

Ah, the late, great Ronnie Barker could have helped you there. ;-) Try a
local old-fashioned type ironmonger if you can find one, or a country store
like the Tuckers we have in Ashburton which sells all manner of useful
objects. And failing all that, what you need is a bodger.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

La Puce 13-03-2006 04:55 PM

New Handles for Forks

Jim Scott wrote:
Farmers' supply shops keep them.

Rollins too - Rollins Online sales assistance (44) 01279 401570. They
have YD ash fork handle or straight handle - any handles for that
matter :o)

Mark Goodge 13-03-2006 07:19 PM

New Handles for Forks

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:58:11 GMT, Instep put finger to keyboard and
typed:

My wooden garden fork handle has broken.
Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement. Please.

Just go to your local garden centre and ask for fork handles. And
don't let them laugh at you :-)

Mark
--
Visit: http://www.ukcommunityradio.info - Community Radio in the UK
Listen: http://www.goodge.co.uk/files/dweeb.mp3 - you'll love it!

Trevor 13-03-2006 09:13 PM

New Handles for Forks

Here in Driffield we have an excellent shop called Waites. They sell beans
and peas in brown paper bags by the oz and they will replace four candles
for you for £10. Even more importantly for a 6ft 5 incher with a bad back
who was nigh on close to having to give up gardening, they can put an extra
long handle on any tool you take in.

Trevor
Kirkburn
Driffield
East Yorkshire.

....so who's spat their dummy out then?

June Hughes 13-03-2006 09:23 PM

New Handles for Forks

In message , Trevor
writes
Here in Driffield we have an excellent shop called Waites. They sell beans
and peas in brown paper bags by the oz and they will replace four candles
for you for £10. Even more importantly for a 6ft 5 incher with a bad back
who was nigh on close to having to give up gardening, they can put an extra
long handle on any tool you take in.

Trevor
Kirkburn
Driffield
East Yorkshire.

There is one in Bishop's Stortford which does the same thing. I am sure
a look on the net will come up with some results, depending on where the
questioner lives.
...so who's spat their dummy out then?

My system deleted the whole lot (several thousand, I think), so all I am
left with are two postings:(
--
June Hughes

grumpy[_1_] 13-03-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instep
My wooden garden fork handle has broken.
Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement. Please.
Ann

Is it not cheaper too buy a new fork some times,these days.
regards Grumpy.

doug 13-03-2006 10:20 PM

New Handles for Forks

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Scott wrote:
Farmers' supply shops keep them.

Rollins too - Rollins Online sales assistance (44) 01279 401570. They
have YD ash fork handle or straight handle - any handles for that
matter :o)

**********
My advice is, don't fash yourself with it.
Simply stop the wife's beer money for two days and go and buy a new one.
(if it's the other way round, Stop his black twist bacca, - one day's ration
should be enough, but if its a dry day.watch out for him going out and
scavenging fag dimps from the pavement.)
(Wa-a-al!, - nowadays one has to have a good laff now and then, what with
all this snow, 'n all, )- otherwise we'd all go round the bend.
Doug.

**********

Sacha 13-03-2006 11:49 PM

New Handles for Forks

On 13/3/06 20:13, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

Here in Driffield we have an excellent shop called Waites. They sell beans
and peas in brown paper bags by the oz and they will replace four candles
for you for £10. Even more importantly for a 6ft 5 incher with a bad back
who was nigh on close to having to give up gardening, they can put an extra
long handle on any tool you take in.

We thought we'd got it sorted out until Ann and I discovered she's going to
a different Ashburton! ;-( Our local ironmonger would indeed have supplied
new wooden fork handles or even had one made, if needed.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Richard Brooks 14-03-2006 11:34 AM

New Handles for Forks

Mark Goodge wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:58:11 GMT, Instep put finger to keyboard and
typed:

My wooden garden fork handle has broken.
Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement. Please.

After a fork that someone bought me as a present from B&Q sheared off, I
went around to the local store, drilled out the old one and have not had
trouble since.

If you're into wood try to get an old Chestnut handled and I MEAN
handled one (think of the sort your Granddad used to have) as it will
treat your hands better than plastic if you are doing a lot of digging.
Also, have you tried breaking that Chestnut fencing as found in
Council house hedgerows ?

Just go to your local garden centre and ask for fork handles. And
don't let them laugh at you :-)

Okay, they'll sound like those youths in the Simpsons but at least
they'll say "yes sir, that's the first time I've ever heard that one!
Hold on while I get some paper to write it down. Actually I'm studying
for a theatrical group and I want to get the right timing and nuances so
could you just repeat it for me. Tell you what, let's go over to the
Tannoy and you can tell everyone in the shop!" :-)

Richard.

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a

Sacha 14-03-2006 11:38 PM

New Handles for Forks

On 14/3/06 10:26 pm, in article ,
"jane" wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:34:32 +0000 (UTC), Richard Brooks
wrote:

~Mark Goodge wrote:
~ On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:58:11 GMT, Instep put finger to keyboard and
~ typed:
~
~
~My wooden garden fork handle has broken.
~Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement. Please.
~
~After a fork that someone bought me as a present from B&Q sheared off, I
~went around to the local store, drilled out the old one and have not had
~trouble since.

I've got an old surface-rusty fork that has no upper handle at all at
the lottie - it's a really nice fork but got caught in a fire at one
point before I inherited the plot, and therefore lost the handle. The
lower handle is sound, just very rust-covered, and has a piece of
metal down inside the shaft that I assume was to hold the handle in
place. Does anyone think this could be repaired? I wouldn't mind a
spare working fork that I don't have to lug up there every time!

When Ann and I both thought she was coming to Ashburton in Devon (she's
not!) I called our local ironmonger who said they could, given enough time,
arrange for handles to be made and tapered to fit down into the shaft. This
was a very brief call and I went into no detail but it looks as if what you
want must be possible.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk