Old 07-04-2003, 01:20 AM
andrewpreece

Default Potato Seeds

Last year I grew Home Guard, Estima and Desiree potatoes; the maincrop
Desirees produced little
fruits like green tomatoes. I have saved the small ( c. 1mm ) flattish seeds
and they have now germinated
into tiny little seedlings ( in the greenhouse in pots of course ). My
question is ( and I suppose it may be
a little esoteric ), am I likely to get decent potatoes by growing them from
actual seed, or shoud I not bother?
I understand disease may be a problem, but I'm more concerned with whether
seed-set potatoes are actually
capable of producing decent tubers ( I wonder if the seeds may be free of
disease whereas tubers saved from
last year are not necessarily ).
Anyone tried this before?

Andy.

Old 07-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Gary Woods

"andrewpreece" wrote:

), am I likely to get decent potatoes by growing them from
actual seed, or shoud I not bother?

You're as likely to get decent potatoes from these seeds as you are to get
good apples from planting the pips. Which is to say, not likely but why
not? That's where Luther Burbank got the potato that bears his name.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "andrewpreece" writes:
| Last year I grew Home Guard, Estima and Desiree potatoes; the maincrop
| Desirees produced little
| fruits like green tomatoes. I have saved the small ( c. 1mm ) flattish seeds
| and they have now germinated
| into tiny little seedlings ( in the greenhouse in pots of course ). My
| question is ( and I suppose it may be
| a little esoteric ), am I likely to get decent potatoes by growing them from
| actual seed, or shoud I not bother?

As Gary Woods, it is unlikely but possible. That is how you breed
new varieties, but commercial plant breeders reckon to try thousands
of crosses for every one that is worth marketing.

| I understand disease may be a problem, but I'm more concerned with whether
| seed-set potatoes are actually
| capable of producing decent tubers ( I wonder if the seeds may be free of
| disease whereas tubers saved from
| last year are not necessarily ).

Seeds are certainly more likely to be disease-free, as many diseases
will transmit only via the tubers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

As Gary Woods, it is unlikely but possible.

And I have to post a self follow-up:

There are a few varieties of potato that breed true from seed.
Considerable breeding effort into "fixing" the strain, and still pretty
limited. If they can produce a crop in one season, they would be a big
break for the growers.

If you could get them to do THAT in the UK, you would be able to
get two crops a year in many parts of the world!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Drakanthus

Anyone tried this before?

Andy.

According to my father, my grandfather grew some from seeds but it took him a few
seasons before he got reasonable sized potatoes. It certainly sounds like an
interesting exercise to try. I've grown many an unusual plant from seed over the
years and find it quite rewarding to see what happens.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)