Old 06-04-2003, 07:09 PM
iamhere

Default Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)

My father wants to cover a large wire fence quickly and I have come
across the above. I know it is a quick grower, I know it can be
invasive, but this is not a problem as long as you can kill it dead if
need be. In other words we want to try it out and if we find it to be
tooooo overwhelming we can get rid of it. How does it spread? Is it
by seed (hard to kill off) or by underground spread (hard to kill
off), or does it keep to its original stem and spread from there (if
you know what I mean!), and so easy to get rid of. Any help would be
appreciated.

Kathy
Old 06-04-2003, 08:20 PM
bnd777

30 yrs back we had a neighbour who planted this on a trellis fence
Every single week I had to cut back 3ft fronds and when we dared to go away
for 2 weeks we could not even walk down the sideway of our house
!!!!!!!!!!!!

om...

Old 06-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Roy

Hi
I would agree with the others.
Why not consider a clematis..Montana variety quick growing , grows to 30' or
more masses of early flowers and easier to control if needs be.
roy

www.asmallwildlifegarden.co.uk
"bnd777" wrote in message
30 yrs back we had a neighbour who planted this on a trellis fence
Every single week I had to cut back 3ft fronds and when we dared to go

away
for 2 weeks we could not even walk down the sideway of our house
!!!!!!!!!!!!

om...

Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 AM
iamhere

When I went to buy an Armandii for another reason I was told that it
was extremely fragile and very hard to keep. Is this the case or was
I misinformed? Many thanks.

BTW, I actually bought the vine for myself(!) and then got frightened
to plant it, opting for a Montana instead! Us daughters, causing
trouble all the time, tut!

Kathy

"bnd777" wrote in message ...
Clematis armandii is evergreen and grows pretty quickly
Honeysuckles get going pretty quickly too

Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
mickeblue

It keeps more or less to its' original root (spreads a bit, but not much).
However, make sure you've got a strong fence 'cos it may get picked up and
moved with the spreading vine.
A friend of mine grew one up a factory wall at the bottom of her garden, and
it wasn't long before the buildings owners were getting on her case because
the plant had actually burst through the mortar, and into their building!
I took one out two years ago as having covered the panel fence - which was
what I wanted it to do - it then strangled a small Willow and a Hebe. I
thought I had got all of the root out, but last year few tendrils started to
appear. These were treated with glyphosate, and it now appears to be gone
for good.
I will NEVER plant another!
Good Luck.

"iamhere" wrote in message
om...
My father wants to cover a large wire fence quickly and I have come
across the above. I know it is a quick grower, I know it can be
invasive, but this is not a problem as long as you can kill it dead if
need be. In other words we want to try it out and if we find it to be
tooooo overwhelming we can get rid of it. How does it spread? Is it
by seed (hard to kill off) or by underground spread (hard to kill
off), or does it keep to its original stem and spread from there (if
you know what I mean!), and so easy to get rid of. Any help would be
appreciated.

Kathy

---

Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
BAC

"mickeblue" wrote in message
[...]

"iamhere" wrote in message
om...
My father wants to cover a large wire fence quickly and I have come
across the above. I know it is a quick grower, I know it can be
invasive, but this is not a problem as long as you can kill it dead if
need be. In other words we want to try it out and if we find it to be
tooooo overwhelming we can get rid of it. How does it spread? Is it
by seed (hard to kill off) or by underground spread (hard to kill
off), or does it keep to its original stem and spread from there (if
you know what I mean!), and so easy to get rid of. Any help would be
appreciated.

My next door neighbours, who are expert gardeners, tried and failed to grow
Russian vine to cover the end wall of another neighbour's garage, so the
stuff isn't invincible. (One imagines it had an assisted demise.)

I have also removed one from my garden, but to little avail as it appears to
have rooted in the (yet another) neighbouring garden and is attempting a
counter offensive.

In the main, it spreads from it's original location, and sounds ideal for
your intended application, but it might take you a year or two to get rid
(you should see the roots!).

Old 07-04-2003, 05:08 PM
JennyC

"iamhere" wrote in message
om...
My father wants to cover a large wire fence quickly and I have come
across the above. I know it is a quick grower, I know it can be
invasive, but this is not a problem as long as you can kill it dead

if
need be. In other words we want to try it out and if we find it to

be
tooooo overwhelming we can get rid of it. How does it spread? Is

it
by seed (hard to kill off) or by underground spread (hard to kill
off), or does it keep to its original stem and spread from there (if
you know what I mean!), and so easy to get rid of. Any help would

be
appreciated.

Kathy

It's other name is 'Mile a Minute' .............which should make you
think "~)
Jenny

Old 07-04-2003, 07:32 PM
bnd777

Armandii once established is pretty hardy although it shows best on a South
facing aspect ......the perfume from mine has been glorious

I have a Russian vine growing from a large pot to cover the brown bare ugly
expanse of neighbours 56 conifers

When they get the message I can easily destroy the plant

om...

Old 07-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"bnd777" writes:
| Armandii once established is pretty hardy although it shows best on a South
| facing aspect ......the perfume from mine has been glorious

Its flower buds and even shoots can be killed by a late hard frost,
though that rarely kills the plant. It is certainly not worried
by -5 Celsius, even when its buds are beginning to break, but -10
is more of a nuisance.

In the coldest parts of the UK, the only hardy evergreen climber
is ivy, but most people can grow C. armandii if it is reasonably
sheltered from the coldest winds and faces vaguely south.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:08 PM
shannie

"iamhere" wrote in message
om...
My father wants to cover a large wire fence quickly and I have come
across the above. I know it is a quick grower, I know it can be
invasive, but this is not a problem as long as you can kill it dead if
need be.

Just to give you an example of how invasive/useful this vine is.
I put two in 4 years ago, to cover an ugly outbuilding wall35ft long X 20ft
tall facing North directly into the wind. Last April with the outbuilding
wall completely covered and half the roof too I needed to build a chuck
run so cut it down to 2ft.(monumental task!) Built the run with the vine
inside, within a fortnight it had lots of new growth and as it grew we
trained it across the lats at the top of the run, by the end of July the run
had a complete vine roof, and it was halfway up the shed wall again, despite
the fact the chucks had eaten all the leaves to about two feet up and
scratched like crazy round the roots. It seems to be indestructable!! It's
great stuff if you have plenty of space to let it do it's thing but if there
are other plants, walls, fences, gates etc that are close by perhaps it's
not the one for your dad. I imagine it'd be a major headache to actually get
rid of it for good if the need arose.

Shan

Shan

Shan

Old 07-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Michael Berridge

bnd777 wrote in message ...

I have a Russian vine growing from a large pot to cover the brown bare

ugly
expanse of neighbours 56 conifers

When they get the message I can easily destroy the plant

Please be aware that when a Russian vine grows the growth is very lax
and wherever it touches the soil it will root, and then instead of a
single plant you will have dozens. It has just taken me two years to get
full control of the Russian vine surrounding my garden, and I planted it
myself!

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Polygonum David Hill United Kingdom 8 30-07-2013 05:20 PM
Russian vine Renee United Kingdom 36 09-04-2007 03:00 AM
Russian Vine - can it be killed off? ADH United Kingdom 3 10-06-2006 03:07 AM
Russian Vine Capt T United Kingdom 4 29-07-2005 02:06 PM
Growth habit of Clematis armandii (was Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)) Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 10-04-2003 01:20 AM