Old 28-01-2013, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snow damage to plants

I was lying in bed about 5.0am a couple of mornings ago when there was
an almighty noise, I looked out of the window to see a sheet of snow
falling past. Later in the morning the same thing happened but on the
North side of the house.
Now that the snow has started to melt I can see that my wallflowers,
which are in pots along the North wall of the property, and the sweet
williams by the South wall have been damaged. The wallflowers
particularly are in a sorry state, many broken.
I have never experienced a roof avalanche of snow before.

Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Old 28-01-2013, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/01/2013 15:36, Broadback wrote:
I was lying in bed about 5.0am a couple of mornings ago when there was
an almighty noise, I looked out of the window to see a sheet of snow
falling past. Later in the morning the same thing happened but on the
North side of the house.
Now that the snow has started to melt I can see that my wallflowers,
which are in pots along the North wall of the property, and the sweet
williams by the South wall have been damaged. The wallflowers
particularly are in a sorry state, many broken.
I have never experienced a roof avalanche of snow before.

Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

I remember roof avalanches from my early Yorkshire days. Fortunately,
my father's plants were never harmed by them as the snow always landed
on paths surrounding the house. As children, we were warned every
winter not to stand or play under the roofline during a thaw.

Sorry to hear your plants were damaged. Hope you can salvage something.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 30-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_4_] View Post
I have never experienced a roof avalanche of snow before.
Heavy falls of snow can cause physical damage to evergreens, which have the wherewithal to accumulate a lot of weight of snow, especially if it is heavy wet snow. This includes bamboos, pines, etc. I go around knocking it off if they are sagging.