Old 08-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Steve

Default Forsythia question

Hi
Is it easy to take Forsythia cuttings and how and when is the best time to
do it? There's a lot of Forsythia plants in my area and some are a lot more
colourful than others, are they a different variety or are they looked after
better?

TIA
Steve

--
Please remove nospam for replies

Old 08-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Steve
writes
Is it easy to take Forsythia cuttings and how and when is the best time to
do it? There's a lot of Forsythia plants in my area and some are a lot more
colourful than others, are they a different variety or are they looked after
better?

Yes.

When the flowers have finished and the plants have come into leaf.

There are several varieties of Forsythia, but what variation in the
amount of flowers produced occurs seems to be more a result of pruning
regimen than variety. (Not that I can tell the varieties apart.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Roberto

You need hard wood cuttings almost anytime I think, they are pretty easy to
propagate, a bit like blackcurrants. Stick it in the ground and it'll grow

Robert The Beachcomber
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/robert_brimacombe

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
: In article , Steve
: writes
:: Is it easy to take Forsythia cuttings and how and when is the best
:: time to do it? There's a lot of Forsythia plants in my area and some
:: are a lot more colourful than others, are they a different variety
:: or are they looked after better?
:
: Yes.
:

Old 08-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Roberto
writes
You need hard wood cuttings almost anytime I think, they are pretty easy to
propagate, a bit like blackcurrants. Stick it in the ground and it'll grow

What I've done in the past is stick softwood cuttings in water (or
compost) and let them root. I rather suspect the Forysthia cuttings can
be struck under varied circumstances.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley