Old 14-05-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bookworm

Default Thompson & Morgan Complaints

I recently purchased some plug geraniums (Perlagoniums) from Thompson &
Morgan online. I paid more than I would have done locally thinking I
would get quality.

They arrived yellowed and leggy and in a bad way.

Despite two emails to them enclosing photos I have not had the courtesy
of even an acknowledgement let alone a reply.

Has anybody else had a bad experience with them?

Old 14-05-2006, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message .com,
Bookworm wrote
I recently purchased some plug geraniums (Perlagoniums) from Thompson &
Morgan online. I paid more than I would have done locally thinking I
would get quality.

They arrived yellowed and leggy and in a bad way.

Despite two emails to them enclosing photos I have not had the courtesy
of even an acknowledgement let alone a reply.

Has anybody else had a bad experience with them?

I've been totally unimpressed with the plug plants that I've had from
Thompson and Morgan. I will not be using them again.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 14-05-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Bookworm" wrote in message
oups.com...

I recently purchased some plug geraniums (Perlagoniums) from Thompson &
Morgan online. I paid more than I would have done locally thinking I
would get quality.

They arrived yellowed and leggy and in a bad way.

Despite two emails to them enclosing photos I have not had the courtesy
of even an acknowledgement let alone a reply.

Has anybody else had a bad experience with them?

For decades most of the seed companies were geared up to
mainly selling seeds.

That was their business. And their only business.

Sourcing and buying in seed, packaging it up, and marketing it.

Then when one of them broadened their range - and increased
their turnover by offering plants, many of the others felt
bound to follow suit.

Many of them aren't really geared up to this business IMO.

You can't simply process orders for plants, in the same way
you can for seeds.

If I had to buy in plants mail order, then I'd much rather order
from a firm with a long established reputation in that field.
And one that did nothing else.

And not necessarily from the one that produced the flashiest
catalogues.

michael adams

Old 14-05-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bookworm writes
I recently purchased some plug geraniums (Perlagoniums) from Thompson &
Morgan online. I paid more than I would have done locally thinking I
would get quality.

They arrived yellowed and leggy and in a bad way.

Despite two emails to them enclosing photos I have not had the courtesy
of even an acknowledgement let alone a reply.

Phone call or letter often works better than email

Has anybody else had a bad experience with them?

Bought a plant for a friend's christmas present from them - it arrived
yellow and leggy, possibly too long in post. Good quality replacement
sent with no quibbles.
--
Kay
Old 14-05-2006, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff

Bookworm wrote:
I recently purchased some plug geraniums (Perlagoniums) from Thompson &
Morgan online. I paid more than I would have done locally thinking I
would get quality.

They arrived yellowed and leggy and in a bad way.

Despite two emails to them enclosing photos I have not had the courtesy
of even an acknowledgement let alone a reply.

Has anybody else had a bad experience with them?

Sort of...

I've ended up with 2 customer numbers (due to using work and home
addresses) and so get 2 each of catalogues & mail shots.

I emailed them asking to delete one and let me know which one to use in
future - never got a reply :-(

I also bought quite a lot of plants from them this year (perennials &
bedding) and all have been healthy apart from the Dahlia collection - 2
out of 3 totally dead above the soil.
Fortunately, the one I bought them for (Moonfire) was perfectly healthy.
Not sure if the other 2 will come again as the roots seemed OK.

Cheers,

Jeff
NE England

Old 15-05-2006, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"Jeff" wrote in message
.uk...
Bookworm wrote:
[...]

You are best to give them a phone call,where you can talk to someone and
they will give you replacements no questions ask usually.
Keith

Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
I recently purchased some plug geraniums (Perlagoniums) from Thompson &
Morgan online. I paid more than I would have done locally thinking I
would get quality.

They arrived yellowed and leggy and in a bad way.

Despite two emails to them enclosing photos I have not had the courtesy
of even an acknowledgement let alone a reply.

Has anybody else had a bad experience with them?
Yes- I have emailed them several times about poor plants and written hard copy over a period of months with no reply whatsoever.
I ordered sweet potato slips which have all died as they had become frosted in transit, tiny plug geraniums which arrived at the end of May after I had cancelled the order, and 'bare root raspberry canes' which were actually plug plants.

Given the high price charged for these items they were poor value, but customer service is not about getting it right the first time but putting things right when they go wrong.

Thompson and Morgan have failed me badly in that respect.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Leave complaints on their Facebook page and you will get response in minutes.
Old 21-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Registered User

KATYA
just received 14 Alan Titchmarsh JUMBO PLUG PLANTS from Thompson and Morgan. Very expensive and no way they are jumbo. Customer Service terrible, they don't even reply, and won't be buying from them again.

Old 15-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered User

with ref. to my order 116176 and 11617700 we have dedided to keep the trees, but i have mislaid the invoices you sent with the flowers and would appreciate it if you would send via email what was on the order. the alstroeneria were in a bad condition.

thank you

m lonergan
Old 26-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

Location: Leicester
Smile

I know this is an old comment, but I thought it deserved a bump. Exactly the reason why it is very hard to get garden centre quality plants mail order. The companies just aren't cut out for it.

You tend to see the larger companies producing certain selections in bulk, pre-packed, and left ready for shipping to the masses. Can very well lead to damage through lack of sunlight, or possible over watering, where they are watered substantially to last through the storage + postage.

Babyplants.co.uk is a good alternative - specifically designed from a garden centre to provide plug plants.

You could also try some of the bigger companies such as GardeningDirect, however they seem to have issues with their couriers, often require replacement (according to their review site).