Old 30-04-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Labels

I recently purchased a large number of plug plants (by mail order), potted
them on and carefully labelled them all. Went into the glasshouse today and
found that less than a week later, all the labelling had faded to zero - I
assume it was a combination of heat (80F in glasshouse today) and sun .
Fortunately I had kept the original trays and eventually fathomed out which
plants were which. Have bought some more "guaranteed non-fade" pens today
and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Jeanne

Old 30-04-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
I recently purchased a large number of plug plants (by mail order),
potted them on and carefully labelled them all. Went into the
glasshouse today and found that less than a week later, all the
labelling had faded to zero - I assume it was a combination of heat
(80F in glasshouse today) and sun . Fortunately I had kept the
original trays and eventually fathomed out which plants were which.
Have bought some more "guaranteed non-fade" pens today and am keeping
my fingers crossed.
Jeanne

I use Pencil on a lolipop stick here.

--
MSN
Email

WebCam
http://nitromax.ww.com
Location Telford, Shropshire

Old 30-04-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after"Jeanne
Stockdale" wrote:

I recently purchased a large number of plug plants (by mail order),
potted
them on and carefully labelled them all. Went into the glasshouse today
and
found that less than a week later, all the labelling had faded to zero -
assume it was a combination of heat (80F in glasshouse today) and sun .
Fortunately I had kept the original trays and eventually fathomed out
which
plants were which. Have bought some more "guaranteed non-fade" pens today
and am keeping my fingers crossed.

A 2B pencil seems to last well and some people swear by Dymo tape.

We always used Dymo for our allotment and things and found it excellent, but
the latest machine and tape was so rubbish we have treated ourselves to one
of those electronic Brother label machines (Notcutts were the cheapest, even
cheaper than the net). So far we are rather impressed but we will just have
to wait and see if they last in the greenhouse and out on the allotment.
Tape is rather expensive but you do get 27ft. per cassette

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 30-04-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:16:34 +0100, " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

I recently purchased a large number of plug plants (by mail order), potted
them on and carefully labelled them all. Went into the glasshouse today and
found that less than a week later, all the labelling had faded to zero - I
assume it was a combination of heat (80F in glasshouse today) and sun .
Fortunately I had kept the original trays and eventually fathomed out which
plants were which. Have bought some more "guaranteed non-fade" pens today
and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Jeanne

Softish pencil. For the seriously stingy (like me), you can rub it out
and use the label again and again.

--
Chris

Old 30-04-2007, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 30 Apr, 20:25, Sacha wrote:
On 30/4/07 19:44, in article ,

wrote:

I recently purchased a large number of plug plants (by mail order), potted
them on and carefully labelled them all. Went into the glasshouse today and
found that less than a week later, all the labelling had faded to zero - I
assume it was a combination of heat (80F in glasshouse today) and sun .
Fortunately I had kept the original trays and eventually fathomed out which
plants were which. Have bought some more "guaranteed non-fade" pens today
and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Jeanne

Softish pencil. For the seriously stingy (like me), you can rub it out
and use the label again and again.

Or cut new ones out of plastic washing up bottles which are white on the
inside!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

I use the cheap plastic labels and write with an HB pencil, lasts for
a year at least.
If you are using a pen then Staedtler Lumocolor is OK for short tine,
but if you turn the label and push the writing into the soil then the
light can't fade it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 30-04-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob
I can vouch for the Brother - the laminated tapes are pricey but they
do last. I have had some out now for three winters and they are
crystal clear - the tape is holding the plastic label together. I
guess I will have to move on to cutting up drink cans into labels and
attaching the tape to it.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I find it better when using plant labels just to write a number on them and
have a sheet of paper (or on the computer) with details of what is planted
against each number.

There are three advantages to this:
1) There is more room to write information such as where the seeds or
cuttings etc came from, when planted, variety and any other notes.
2) By just having a number on the plant label, the number can be written in
several places on the label so it appears on both sides and both above and
below ground (the below ground number doesn't fade so fast).
3) The labels can be reused without needing to rub anything out. Just update
the sheet of paper or computer record.

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 01-05-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote:
snip
I use the cheap plastic labels and write with an HB pencil, lasts for
a year at least.

---
I have a plastic label on a cactus, with HB pencil writing that has lasted
since 1988 and can still be easily read. The cactus has, since first
potted, done very well too.

MikeCT

Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"David (Normandy)" writes
I find it better when using plant labels just to write a number on them and
have a sheet of paper (or on the computer) with details of what is planted
against each number.

There are three advantages to this:
1) There is more room to write information such as where the seeds or
cuttings etc came from, when planted, variety and any other notes.
2) By just having a number on the plant label, the number can be written in
several places on the label so it appears on both sides and both above and
below ground (the below ground number doesn't fade so fast).
3) The labels can be reused without needing to rub anything out. Just update
the sheet of paper or computer record.

And one disadvantage! - that you need to go and look up your piece of
paper. I used to have a card index for the cacti, but I wasn't very good
at updating it.

I stick everything on the label - date of sowing, date it needs to go in
the fridge for stratifying and come out again ...

Pencil doesn't fade, and can be rubbed out for overwriting for the next
batch

I don't use labels for long term things. So far I've relied on memory
for the things I'm really interested in, but I will probably go to paper
for that (without separate numbers - I'll just indicate the position in
the garden, do a plan if necessary). I have a paper record of the apple
trees, with their picking and storing times.
--
Kay